Lifelong Learning

UC Open Day 2016 Lecture Theatre

UC Arts welcomes older learners who want to engage their minds with a wide range of stimulating courses. Whether you are interested in ancient civilisations, local or world history, literature, languages, politics, or philosophy, UC Arts has courses that will inspire and invigorate your mind.

What can I study?

Completed Arts courses can be credited to a certificate, diploma, or bachelors degree if you choose to pursue a more formal course of study. Undergraduate subjects offered by the College of Arts:

Time commitment

UC undergraduate courses typically run in semester 1 or 2, but a compressed six-week summer school also operates between November and January.

Allow about 150 hours for each 15-point course. For semester-long courses that is a workload of just over 10 hours a week on average, including reading the online course materials and working on assignments.

More information

If you need more information or advice about study options, contact the Lifelong Learning Co-ordinator.

College of Arts

Student Advisors
Level 1, Elsie Locke Building
Internal Phone: 93377

Am I eligible?

The courses are open to anyone eligible to enrol at the University of Canterbury. If you have any questions about eligibility please contact: 

Phone 0800 VARSITY (827 748)

What is the cost?

Each individual course has a fee based on the degree area and level of the course. You only pay for the courses you choose to take. Visit Qualifications and courses for course descriptions and costs.

College Award

Students over the age of 55 may qualify for a College Award for undergraduate study. Successful applicants receive 50% off their first enrolment for up to 120 points of courses. To apply for a College Award apply to enrol at UC and complete the UC arts college award application form (DOC, 183KB, 1 page) and email it to for consideration.

  • College Awards applicants must be over the age of 55 and not have been enrolled at UC within the last 5 years.
  • Applications are assessed on a case by case basis and a personal statement is required with the application. 
  • College Awards are only available for undergraduate subjects offered by the College of Arts.

Does Lifelong Learning meet your study needs?

Apply online and start your UC journey