From Sacramento, California, Justin DeHart is a GRAMMY-nominated performer of contemporary musical styles from classical to pop, and from world to electronic. Justin is a current member of Los Angeles Percussion Quartet (LAPQ) and his musical resume includes performances with the San Diego symphony, pipa master Wu Man, and various pop legends, including Cheap Trick. His debut solo album entitled Strange Paths on Innova Recordings (works by Brian Ferneyhough, Iannis Xenakis, Michael Gordon and Stuart Saunders Smith) was lauded as “mesmerizing” by Percussive Notes for his “palette of sounds and intricate weaving of lines.” Justin was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship for percussion studies in India and his talents have been featured at concerts around the globe.
Justin holds a B.M. degree from CSU Sacramento, a M.F.A. from the California Institute of the Arts, and a D.M.A. from UC San Diego. He has solo, chamber and contemporary recordings on MCA, Sony, Mode, Innova, Sono Luminus, Albany, New World, HatHut, Populist, Sub Pop, and Skunk Records. A Senior Lecturer in Music at the University of Canterbury, in Christchurch, New Zealand, Justin is a Yamaha Performing Artist and an endorser of Black Swamp Percussion, REMO, Sabian, and Innovative Percussion Inc.
- DeHart JW. (2018) An Evening with Justin DeHart - Percussion Revolution. Invited as part of the College of the Arts to present a public talk on my work.. UC City Arts: An Evening with Justin DeHart - Percussion Revolution, 01 May 2018.
- DeHart JW. (2018) Invited to give a masterclass on percussion chamber music at Pasadena City College, Pasadena, CA, USA.. Pasadena, California, USA: Percussion Masterclass, 10 Apr 2018.
- DeHart JW. (2018) Invited to give a one hour talk to student composers about writing for percussion at Cal Poly, Pomona, USA. .
- DeHart JW. (2018) Invited to give a one-hour talk on aspects of Percussion chamber music administration to percussionists and music majors at Pasadena City College, CA, USA.. .
- DeHart JW. (2018) Consortia Goes Kiwi: The Great Hall of the Arts Centre - Christchurch, NZ. Performer: [Performance].