From Sacramento, California, Justin DeHart is a GRAMMY-nominated performer of contemporary musical styles from classical to pop, and from world to electronic. Justin is a current member of Los Angeles Percussion Quartet (LAPQ) and his musical resume includes performances with the San Diego symphony, pipa master Wu Man, and various pop legends, including Cheap Trick. His debut solo album entitled Strange Paths on Innova Recordings (works by Brian Ferneyhough, Iannis Xenakis, Michael Gordon and Stuart Saunders Smith) was lauded as “mesmerizing” by Percussive Notes for his “palette of sounds and intricate weaving of lines.” Justin was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship for percussion studies in India and his talents have been featured at concerts around the globe.
Justin holds a B.M. degree from CSU Sacramento, a M.F.A. from the California Institute of the Arts, and a D.M.A. from UC San Diego. He has over 100 solo, chamber and contemporary recordings on MCA, Sony, Mode, Innova, Sono Luminus, Albany, Bridge, New World, HatHut, Populist, Sub Pop, and Skunk Records. A Senior Lecturer in Music at the University of Canterbury, in Christchurch, New Zealand, Justin is a Yamaha Performing Artist and an endorser of Black Swamp Percussion, REMO, Sabian, and Innovative Percussion Inc.
- DeHart JW. (2020) Chinary Ung - Volume 4: Space Between Heaven and Earth. Percussionist performer: San Diego, California, USA. [Two-disc album set on Bridge Records].
- DeHart JW. (2020) CHLLNGR - Haven. Producer, musician: Copenhagen, Denmark. [Digital music album on IAAI Music Label].
- DeHart JW. (2020) cLoud Collective: The Good, Bad, and the Ugly - Christchurch, NZ. Performer, co-curator: [Public Performance].
- DeHart JW. (2020) Disconnected, But Connected - Finds Them And Thrills Them. Producer, Recording Engineer: Copenhagen, Denmark. [Digital Music EP on IAAI Music Label].
- DeHart JW. (2020) New Music Central. UC Percussion Ensemble: Beautiful Noise - Christchurch, NZ. Director, Performer: Aldersgate Centre. [Public Performance].