Associate ProfessorJustin DeHart
From Sacramento, California, Justin DeHart is a GRAMMY-nominated performer of contemporary musical styles from classical to pop, and from world to electronic. He is a current member of Los Angeles Percussion Quartet (LAPQ) and his musical resume includes performances with the NZ Symphony Orchestra, LA Phil New Music Group, I.C.E., red fish blue fish, and pop legends Stewart Copeland and Cheap Trick. Justin was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship for percussion studies in India and his talents have been featured at concerts around the globe.
Justin appears on over 100 solo, chamber and contemporary releases on MCA, Sony, Mode, Innova, Sono Luminus, Albany, New World, HatHut, Rattle, Populist, Bridge, Sub Pop, and Skunk Records. His debut album, entitled Strange Paths (2013), on Innova Recordings (works by Brian Ferneyhough, Iannis Xenakis, Michael Gordon and Stuart Saunders Smith) was lauded as “mesmerizing” by Percussive Notes for his “palette of sounds and intricate weaving of lines.” The Complete Early Percussion Works of Karlheinz Stockhausen on MODE Records won the Deutscheschallplattenkritikpreis for the best new music release of 2015. In 2020, Justin was featured as a soloist on the entire first—of six—retrospective discs of Stuart Saunders Smith’s music released on Chen Li Records. Justin was named a finalist for Te Kaipuoro Inamata Toa | Best Classical Artist Aotearoa Music Award for his solo album, Landfall: New Zealand Percussion Volume 1, released on Rattle records in 2021.
Justin holds a B.M. degree from CSU Sacramento, a M.F.A. from the California Institute of the Arts, and a D.M.A. from UC San Diego. Justin is a YAMAHA Performing Artist and an endorser of Black Swamp Percussion, REMO, Sabian, and Innovative Percussion Inc.
- DeHart JW. (2023) Colorado State University: Online Percussion Clinic (60 minutes). .
- DeHart JW. (2023) New Zealand Symphony Orchestra (NZSO) - West Side Story, Wellington, NZ. Performer: [Public Performance with film].
- DeHart JW. (2023) Off Centre Arts Festival, Percussion Spheres: Solo Concert, Arts Centre Recital Room - Christchurch, NZ. Performer, curator: [Public Performance].
- DeHart JW. (2023) Solo Percussion Album: Percussion Spheres (Rattle Records). Performer, Producer, Engineer: [CD, digital album].
- DeHart JW. (2023) Solo Percussion Album: Ring: The Complete Solo Percussion Works of John Bergamo (Rattle Records). Performer, Producer, Engineer: [CD, digital album].