UC Rec & Sport App
- UC STUDENTS: Make sure you use your student email eg @uclive.ac.nz or @pg.canterbury.ac.nz
- UC STAFF: Make sure you use your UC Staff email eg @canterbury.ac.nz
- OTHER MEMBERS: Please use the email you signed up for your membership with. You can check that here.
- This will ensure your reccentre membership account and your app account are connected as fast as possible, enabling you to use the booking systems faster
- The magic happens every workday at 5pm, (except for weekends at the moment, we're working on that!), so if you sign up after 5pm, your account won't activate until the 5pm run the next day.
MAKE MOVEMENT YOUR MOTIVATION
With the Rec & Sport app, powered by mywellness, you can track all of the activities that you do at the gym or outdoors, measuring kilometres travelled and calories burned. Every physical activity you take part in enables you to collect MOVEs. These are units of measurement that you can compare with your friends, to see who is most active.
What can you do with our app?
More of a visual learner?
- Check out our YouTube 'how to book a class' video (5.17)
How to book (all classes)
- Open your Rec & Sport app
- Select the "Class Timetable" tile.
- Use the red banner to select the day you would like to come along to a class.
- Scroll down and check out what is on offer on that day.
- Once you have found the class you want to attend, press "BOOK"
- You're in! You will be prompted to add it to your calendar so you don't' forget.
Don't have the app?
- Head to our timetable page on the website and book directly there
- You'll still the need a MyWellness account to login when prompted
How to cancel (all classes)
- Open your app, and use the Class Timetable tile to find the class that you have booked.
- Select "DELETE BOOKING" - and you will be removed from the class.
- This function can only be completed up to 30mins prior to class start time.
- It really helps others if you cancel as soon as you know you've changed your mind!
Are there penalties if I don't turn up without cancelling
- Yes, you will receive a strike against your account.
- If you hit THREE strikes (i.e. three missed classes), then you will be blocked from booking Group Fitness classes for 14 days.
- There are NO penalties for missing a livestream booking.
Can I join a class without booking?
- No, bookings are required for all of our Group Fitness classes.
- If you are sitting on the waitlist, you can come along and try your luck to see if there is space. However, you will be turned away if the class is full, so make sure you have a backup workout plan!
How To Book a Group Fitness Class
Live & OnDemand
Group Fitness Classes Streaming Live & OnDemand
From as little as $1 per week! FREE for a limited time for RecCentre members!
Sometimes getting to the gym or fitting in a group fitness class around a busy schedule can be tricky. Perhaps you have to isolate, but you're still feelling good for a workout or yoga session. We've got you covered!
You need two things to use Live & OnDemand
1. Download the Rec&Sport App
2. An active subscription to our Live & OnDemand service. Right now, that's FREE for all RecCentre members (usually $49 per annum)
We stream a select number of group fitness classes daily. These classes are happening live and streamed via our app. You can participate remotely from wherever you are.
Open the UC Rec & Sport app.
- Tap on [Class Timetable]. On the calendar find the class you wish to stream. These classes have [LIVE] in their title and a "Livestream" logo.
- You can set a reminder for when the class is about to begin, or if the class has started tap [Join].
- You can join the class with your mobile device, or tap join from a computer or TV (a URL link will be emailed to the email address associated with your Rec & Sport app account).
- You choose whether you wish to present your screen or microphone. This will allow you to interact with other online members before the class begins. Your microphone and camera are automatically turned off when the class begins.
- If you have a heart rate monitor you can choose to link this to the app so your HR can be displayed on the screen.
If the app closes or our livestream crashes you can rejoin the class at any time throughout the duration of the livestream. After the class, your results will automatically be added to the results tab of the app.
If the scheduled time of a class isn't suitable we have a number of pre-recorded classes for you to choose from within our OnDemand area that you can do anytime you like.
- From the app home screen tap on [Online Services] then tap the [OnDemand] picture.
- Browse classes via "Recently Added", "Popular" and "Categories" sections. to view the full list tap [All]. There are classes added all the time with with a mix of both RecCentre and Technogym content.
- When you've found a class, open it and tap [START] to begin.
After the class, your results will automatically be added to the results tab of the app.
Most classes don't have a warm-up or cool-down so we recommend you conduct your own or select one of the warm-up or cool-down classes before/after your class.
Whether you are livestreaming or doing an OnDemand class, you have the option to cast it to a bigger screen.
- Make sure your phone and TV are connected to the same WiFi network and your TV is on.
- Start the class. Once the class has started, a Chromecast icon will appear at the top of the screen.
Alternatively you can Chromecast directly from a computer browser.
Checkout the variety of different Technogym equipment we have on offer in the UC Rec Centre. All of these machines are linked in with MyWellness so log in, track your progress and be motivated!
Skillrun shatters all expectations of what a treadmill can be. It is the first piece of running equipment designed to meet the training requirements of elite athletes and demanding fitness enthusiasts. Thanks to its unique MULTIDRIVE TECHNOLOGY™, Skillrun users can combine cardio and power training in a single solution.
SKILLMILL™ is the first product allowing everyday athletes to improve their Power, Speed, Stamina and Agility, and enjoy the benefits of professional sports training in a safe, engaging and effective way. A unique solution offering a huge variety of workout routines to train all the body’s energy systems and turn your members into peak performers.
SKILLROW™ is the first fully connected indoor rowing equipment that trains both cardio and power at athlete's level, thanks to its sport-specific design, exclusive technology and performance-oriented workouts.
Enjoy the sensation of riding a real road bike. The biomechanics and ergonomic design offer a variety of positions to help you achieve peak performance.
Excite® Climb will forever change the nature of stair climbing, making it easy for first-timers and challenging for advanced users. Enjoy the high intensity routines and immersive content on the new UNITY™ 3.0 console. Stay connected via Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®, monitor and store your full workout data and keep track of the progress on your mywellness® account.
Body Composition Scan (BCS)
The Tanita Body Composition Scanner (BCS) is one of the most powerful tools for health and a must do's in everyone's fitness journey. It gives you a snapshot of your current state and a measure of your overall health and wellness.
Add on a scan to your Exercise Consult or Small Group Training course for just $5. Just want the scan? We can do this for $20, or $10 for UC Students.
What is body composition
Body composition is the percentage of the human body's bone, fat, water, and muscle mass. Using these percentages, it gives a broad range of information about the state of your body and how to set up goals to potentially prevent and/or maintain your body balance. With the analysis of the body's composition, it gives an in-depth insight into your overall physical wellness through the break down of each segment of the body.
Why is it useful?
Some individuals may be the same weight and size but have different activity levels. Take for example an infrequent exerciser and a weekend warrior. A BMI test may show the same scores, but the weight may consist of more muscle or fat.
This shows that they have different:
- Exercise needs;
- Nutritional needs;
- Health risks; and
- Fitness goals
By knowing your body composition you can use it for motivation, accountability and/or doing more exercise whilst measuring your body fat percentage and muscle changes.
Understanding the Measurements
*Icons taken from https://tanita.eu/help-guides/understanding-measurements
Fit50 using TeamBeats
- We loan you a HR monitor, or you can wear your own ANT+ compatible device
- Your HR is displayed on screen, with colour zones to show you instantly if you could push a little harder
- Exercises, workout/rest intervals, and time remaining in the class are also shown
- Your personal results for the class will be loaded into your app automatically
TEAMBEATS™ is a Heart Rate Training platform that combines workout variety, time efficiency, music and fun in a single workout that is unlike any other trainer-led group fitness experience. Improve fitness, lose weight and maximize performance in a heartbeat. To see this in action you'll need to try our our FIT50 class
Add your membership card
Enjoy the convenience of having your membership card in your phone
Having Problems with your App?
Do you get the following message? "Your membership does not allow you to make this booking"
- Once you've created your account, and you've activated it using the link in the sign-up email, we still need to grant permission to areas of the app on our end.
- We do this twice a day (very early morning, and late afternoon).
- If you receive this message it is because you haven't been granted access to that area of the app yet. Please check back later in the day.
You may also get this message if you're trying to use an area in the app that you don't have permission to use, such as booking into the K1 Training Facility or using the Live or OnDemand group fitness services without the appropriate membership add-on.
Having problems with the UC Rec & Sport app?
- Uninstall the [UC Rec & Sport] app
- Fully update your iOS or Android operating system
- Re-install the [UC Rec & Sport] App
- Log back in using a UC Student or Staff email
- Clearing the app's cache may also fix some issues.
Please note, that our Rec & Sport app is only supported on iOS and Android operating systems. It does not support rooted or jailbroken devices.
If you cannot resolve your issue, please read the How-To guide attached below for more help
Cannot log in to the UC Rec & Sport app?
- Head to http://www.mywellness.com and try logging in there using your email and password.
- If you cannot log in to the MyWellness website, please click on "Forgot Password" to reset your password.
- If you do not receive an email to reset your password, first check your junk or spam folders.
If you cannot resolve your issue, please read the How-To guide attached below for more help
If still having issues contact our Fitness, Facilities & Systems Team Leader
Intro to our Services
Set in the heart of campus, the UC RecCentre is more than just a gym! The Rec & Sport team offer a variety of health, fitness & sport services for the UC Staff, Students & wider community. We welcome everyone through our doors!
Rec & Sport Services
Interactive UC RecCentre Virtual Tour
Move around the UC Rec Centre by clicking the floor arrows and by clicking the images around the building
- Rotate with your mouse or tap and drag.
- Use the navigation arrows to move between areas.
- Red lines on the top left allow you to fast travel between areas
- Bottom buttons include a Mini-map, Fullscreen, Toggle Sound and Intro Pop-up.
Keep an eye out for information, picture and video links located throughout the rooms. Click on these to learn more about what's on offer.
If you see a black screen you will need to click the redlines in the top left corner and change to a new location (e.g Foyer (middle)).
Where to next?
If it's all just a little bit overwhelming, and you're not sure where to start, check out or suggestions below. Remember, from the great quotes of Pinterest and the wise words of Gary Gin - you don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great!
Choose your level of experience
"I have never stepped foot in a gym before or I have less than 1 years experience with exercise"
"I have some experience with training but need some guidance. I have about 1-3 years of training experience"
"I have been training for a while now and need a push. I have 3+ years of training experience or I am a competitive athlete"