Mā te ara Mātauranga Māori kei Te Kura Whakangungu Kaiako koutou e whai mōhiotanga mō ngā mahi o te kaiako kei ngā whare kōhungahunga me ngā kura tuatahi, mai te taumata reo 2 (51%+ te reo Māori). Ka oti tēnei tohu I a koe, kei a koe ngā pūkenga whakaako ki rō Kura Aunoa (Auraki), kei reira e whakanuia ana te reo Māori me ōna tikanga, ngā mōhiotanga o ngā take kākāno rua me ngā ahurea whakamana i te tipu mai o te tamaiti.
The Mātauranga Māori Initial Teacher Education pathway will equip you to work in whare kōhungahunga (early childhood) and/or kura tuatahi (primary) settings working at level 2 (51-80% te reo Māori immersion) or higher. A graduate of the Mātauranga Māori programme has the ability to work in bilingual English medium educational settings, where knowledge of te reo Māori me ōna tikanga, bicultural practice, and culturally empowering pedagogies are valued as a means to support child development.
- He ako kei rō taiao ako reo rua, kākanorua, he ako ā-whānau. He tohu tēnei mā te hunga e ngākau nui ana ki te whakapākari i ā rātou mōhiotanga ki te reo Māori me ōna tikanga. Hei te tau tuatoru o te tohu paetahi, he reo rumaki ngā kōhi katoa (81+ te reo Māori).
Learn in a bilingual, bicultural, whānau- style atmosphere. This qualification is open to all who have a commitment to developing competence in te reo Māori me ōna tikanga. By the third year of the degree, the delivery is level 1 (81+% te reo Māori immersion).
- He ako ā-rorohiko, ā-kanohi kitea hoki te momo ako, nā reira, ka taea te ako mai tawhiti. Heoi anō me matua tae ā-tinana mō ētahi wāhanga o ia tau, he noho marae ki te hau kāinga o Kāi Tahu ia tau.
This is a mixed method style of delivery with content being available online, therefore there is the ability to learn from anywhere. Kanohi ki te kanohi (face to face) delivery will also be included in the programme through scheduled block wānanga each year and one noho marae each year.
- Ko ngā wheako mahi ngaio, arā ngā kōhi 'Mana Ako', kei rō whare kōhungahunga me ngā kura tuatahi Māori he wāhanga matua kia mārama pū ki ngā āhuatanga o te taiao ako me ngā mahi o te kaiako.
Professional Practice Exploration experiences may occur in whare kōhungahunga (early childhood centres), bilingual primary, and kura kaupapa Māori settings throughout your degree.
Mātauranga Māori endorsement
For the endorsement in Ako: Bachelor of Teaching and Learning, complete the following courses:
- AKOT100 Navigating Study at Tertiary Level - Being a Successful Learner (0-point course)
- AKOT101 Ngā Tāngata, Te Mana o Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- AKOM191 Mana Atua: Tipuranga Tamaiti 1
- AKOM192 Mana Reo 1
- AKOM193 Mana Tangata 1
- AKOM194 Te Puna Marautanga 1
- AKOM195 Mana Whenua
- AKOA161 Mana Ako: Practice Exploration 1
- AKOM291 Mana Atua 2
- AKOM292 Te Puna Marautanga 2
- AKOM293 Mana Reo 2
- AKOM294 Mana Tangata 2
- AKOT230 Whānau Tangata: Possibilities, Opportunities and Tensions
- AKOT232 Whanaungatanga: Relationally Connected
- AKOA261 Mana Ako: Practice Exploration 2
- AKOA262 Mana Ako: Practice Exploration 3
- AKOM391 Mana Atua 3
- AKOM392 Te Puna Marautanga 3
- AKOM393 Te Puna Marautanga 4
- AKOM394 Mana Reo 3
- Kōwhiringa 1: One course chosen from these options
- Kōwhiringa 2: One course chosen from these options
Plus a choice between Primary OR Early Childhood teaching:
Primary Teaching courses
Early Childhood Teaching courses
Te reo entry courses
A selection hui will occur alongside your whānau to evaluate your te reo Māori proficiency level.
- For those with no or limited te reo Māori proficiency at entry, you will be guided to complete TREO110 OR AKOT110 in Summer School before starting the programme.
- For those with some knowledge of te reo Māori (basic — conversational), you will follow the normal course programme outlined above including the Mana Reo courses.
- For those with a high proficiency of te reo Māori, you may receive Recognition of Prior Learning for AKOM192.
- For those with a high proficiency in te reo Māori me ōna tikanga, you may receive Recognition of Prior Learning for AKOM192, AKOM293, and/or AKOM394 (your ability will determine how many of these courses). Alternatively, you may take reo rumaki (Māori language immersion) Summer School courses in the second and third year of the degree to further strengthen your confidence and competence to teach in and through te reo Māori — TREO180 and TREO280.
How to apply
For details on entry requirements and the application process, see the Guide to Applying.
Ko ngā pūkenga o te reo Māori me ōna tikanga, me ngā mātauranga Māori ētahi pūmanawa whakaharahara ki Aotearoa nei, he tino taonga mā tātou katoa. Ko ngā raukura o tēnei tohu, e kaha kōrero Māori ana, me ngā pūmanawa o te kākanorua, e kaha pīrangi ana kaiwhakawhiwhi mahi ki Aotearoa me te ao whānui, nā ngā mōhiotanga he maha, me ngā hononga ki ngā iwi taketake o te ao.
Ko ngā māramatanga o ngā tikanga rua, he tūāpapa pai mō ngā mahi kei ngā kaupapa here mātauranga, mahi kaitautoko whakaako me ētahi atu kaupapa ki te poipoi ō tātou nei tamariki/mokopuna.
Kaiako with skills in te reo Māori and mātauranga Māori are highly valued in Aotearoa in both English medium and Māori medium settings.
Bicultural knowledge and competence is essential for work in educational policy, support services, and other fields that involve working with and for people.
Some career pathways could include:
- Kaiako (teacher)
- Tumuaki (principal)
- Māori language consultant
- Culturally Responsive Pedagogies leader/advisor.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
For more details on entry requirements and the application process, see the Guide to Applying.
Level 5, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Mātauranga Māori
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Teaching is a varied and rewarding career for people who are energetic, creative, and committed to making a difference for children and young people. Develop ...