It is difficult to envisage a future where obesity prevalence decreases in environments that actively promote it
Matthew is a postdoctoral researcher in the GeoHealth Laboratory (GeoSpatial Research Institute) at The University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
As an early career researcher, he recently completed his PhD for which he received a scholarship. His thesis explored the association between the physical food and physical activity environment and obesity. He has a MSc. Physical Activity and Public Health from Loughborough University and BA (Hons) Physical Education at Leeds Metropolitan University.
Most recently, he has been invited as part of the international advisory panel for Perspectives in Public Health a flagship journal of the Royal Society for Public Health (MRSPH). Matthew became a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA & PGCHE), has studied and worked in Australia, at Loughborough University and also works as a health, physical activity and obesity consultant.
- Vogel C., Zwolinsky S., Griffiths C., Hobbs M., Henderson E. and Wilkins E. (2019) A Delphi study to build consensus on the definition and use of big data in obesity research.. Int J Obes (Lond) http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41366-018-0313-9.
- Wade A., Hobbs M. and Green M. (2019) Investigating the relationship between multimorbidity and dental attendance: a cross-sectional study of UK adults. British Dental Journal 226: 138-143. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.2019.47.
- Hobbs M., Duncan M., Collins P., Mckenna J., Schoeppe S., Rebar AL., Short C. and Vandelanotte C. (2018) Clusters of health behaviours in Queensland adults are associated with different socio-demographic characteristics. Journal of Public Health early access online http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdy043.
- Hobbs M., Griffiths C., Green MA., Christensen A. and McKenna J. (2018) Examining longitudinal associations between the recreational physical activity environment, change in body mass index, and obesity by age in 8864 Yorkshire Health Study participants.. Soc Sci Med http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2018.06.027.
- Hobbs M., Griffiths C., Green MA., Jordan H., Saunders J. and McKenna J. (2018) Associations between the combined physical activity environment, socioeconomic status, and obesity: a cross-sectional study. Perspectives in Public Health 138(3): 169-172. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1757913917748353.