My research interests focus on the ecological and evolutionary processes that contribute to the formation and maintenance of species boundaries, and the application of this knowledge to enhance the recovery of species at risk. I co-lead the Conservation, Systematics and Evolution Research Team (ConSERT) at Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha/University of Canterbury. In partnership with relevant Māori (Indigenous peoples of Aotearoa New Zealand) tribes (iwi or hapū) and in collaboration with conservation practitioners, we use genomic and non-genomic data to co-develop conservation genetic management strategies for some of Aotearoa New Zealand’s rarest taonga (treasured) species.
- Galla SJ., Brown L., Couch-Lewis Ngāi Tahu Te Hapū O Ngāti Wheke Ngāti Waewae Y., Cubrinovska I., Eason D., Gooley RM., Hamilton JA., Heath JA., Hauser SS. and Latch EK. (2022) The relevance of pedigrees in the conservation genomics era. Molecular ecology 31(1): 41-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/mec.16192.
- Rayne A., Blair S., Dale M., Flack B., Hollows J., Moraga R., Parata RN., Rupene M., Tamati-Elliffe P. and Wehi PM. (2022) Weaving place-based knowledge for culturally significant species in the age of genomics: Looking to the past to navigate the future. Evolutionary Applications http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/eva.13367.
- Forsdick NJ., Martini D., Brown L., Cross HB., Maloney RF., Steeves TE. and Knapp M. (2021) Genomic sequencing confirms absence of introgression despite past hybridisation between a critically endangered bird and its common congener. Global Ecology and Conservation 28 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gecco.2021.e01681.
- Wold J., Koepfli KP., Galla SJ., Eccles D., Hogg CJ., Le Lec MF., Guhlin J., Santure AW. and Steeves TE. (2021) Expanding the conservation genomics toolbox: Incorporating structural variants to enhance genomic studies for species of conservation concern. Molecular Ecology 30(23): 5949-5965. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/mec.16141.
- Galla SJ., Moraga R., Brown L., Cleland S., Hoeppner MP., Maloney RF., Richardson A., Slater L., Santure AW. and Steeves TE. (2020) A comparison of pedigree, genetic and genomic estimates of relatedness for informing pairing decisions in two critically endangered birds: Implications for conservation breeding programmes worldwide. Evolutionary Applications 13(5): 991-1008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/eva.12916.
Research group: www.ucconsert.org