Human Geography,Chief Science Advisor, MoT
Beatrice Tinsley Rm 308
Internal Phone: 94064
His interests focus on the impact of the urban environment on health and wellbeing, with a particular focus on transport, community and streetscape.
Simon's research primarily focuses on the impact of the urban environment on health and wellbeing, with with a particular focus on transport, community and streetscape. Much of his research uses geospatial science including some done through the GeoHealth Laboratory, of which he is the Director. His research is generally applied and carried out with end users with a strong community engagement focus.
He is also seconded two days a week to the Ministry of Transport as their Chief Science Advisor, where he advises the Ministry on the evidence base of government policy.
- Banwell K. and Kingham S. (2023) Living well in your local neighbourhood: The value of bumping and gathering places. Wellbeing, Space and Society 4 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wss.2022.100124.
- Hobbs M., Ahuriri-Driscoll A., Kingham S., Wiki J., Marek L., Dionisio MR., Curl A., Schluter P., Banwell K. and Mackenbach JD. (2022) A city profile of Ōtautahi Christchurch. Cities 121 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2021.103481.
- Hobbs M., Stewart T., Marek L., Duncan S., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2022) Health-promoting and health-constraining environmental features and physical activity and sedentary behaviour in adolescence: a geospatial cross-sectional study. Health and Place 77 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2022.102887.
- Campbell M., Marek L., Wiki J., Hobbs M., Sabel CE., McCarthy J. and Kingham S. (2021) National movement patterns during the COVID-19 pandemic in New Zealand: The unexplored role of neighbourhood deprivation. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 75(9): 903-905. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jech-2020-216108.
- Conrow L., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2021) Transport changes and COVID-19: From present impacts to future possibilities. New Zealand Geographer 77(3): 185-190. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/nzg.12315.