Simon's research primarily focuses on the impact of the urban environment on individual and community health and wellbeing. Much of his research uses geospatial science including some done through the GeoHealth Laboratory, of which he is the Director. His research is generally applied and carried out with end users with a strong community engagement focus.
I am also seconded two days a week to the Ministry of Transport as their Chief Science Advisor, where I advise the Ministry on the evidence base of government policy
- Campbell M., Marek L., Wiki J., Hobbs M., Sabel CE., McCarthy J. and Kingham S. (2021) National movement patterns during the COVID-19 pandemic in New Zealand: The unexplored role of neighbourhood deprivation. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 75(9): 903-905. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jech-2020-216108.
- Hobbs M., Biddle SJH., Kingsnorth AP., Marek L., Tomintz M., Wiki J., McCarthy J., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2021) Investigating the Association between Child Television Viewing and Measured Child Adiposity Outcomes in a Large Nationally Representative Sample of New Zealanders: A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 18(5): 524-532. http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/JPAH.2020-0192.
- Hobbs M., Kingham S., Wiki J., Marek L. and Campbell M. (2021) Unhealthy environments are associated with adverse mental health and psychological distress: Cross-sectional evidence from nationally representative data in New Zealand. Preventive Medicine 145 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2020.106416.
- Hobbs M., Schoeppe S., Duncan MJ., Vandelanotte C., Marek L., Wiki J., Tomintz M., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2021) Objectively measured waist circumference is most strongly associated in father–boy and mother–girl dyads in a large nationally representative sample of New Zealanders. International Journal of Obesity 45(2): 438-448. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41366-020-00699-w.
- Hobbs M., Wade A., Jones P., Marek L., Tomintz M., Sharma K., McCarthy J., Mattingley B., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2021) Area-level deprivation, childhood dental ambulatory sensitive hospitalizations and community water fluoridation: Evidence from New Zealand. International Journal of Epidemiology 49(3): 908-916. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/IJE/DYAA043.