Simon's research primarily focuses on the impact of the urban environment on individual and community health and wellbeing. Much of his research uses geospatial science including some done through the GeoHealth Laboratory, of which he is the Director. His research is generally applied and carried out with end users with a strong community engagement focus.
I am also seconded two days a week to the Ministry of Transport as their Chief Science Advisor, where I advise the Ministry on the evidence base of government policy
- Frater J. and Kingham S. (2020) Adolescents and bicycling to school: Does behaviour setting/place make a difference? Journal of Transport Geography 85 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2020.102724.
- Hobbs M., Marek L., Clarke R., McCarthy J., Tomintz M., Wade A., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2020) Investigating the prevalence of non-fluoride toothpaste use in adults and children using nationally representative data from New Zealand: a cross-sectional study. British Dental Journal 228(4): 269-276. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41415-020-1304-5.
- Hobbs M., Marek L., Wiki J., Campbell M., Deng BY., Sharpe H., McCarthy J. and Kingham S. (2020) Close proximity to alcohol outlets is associated with increased crime and hazardous drinking: Pooled nationally representative data from New Zealand. Health and Place 65 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2020.102397.
- Hobbs M., Wade A., Jones P., Marek L., Tomintz M., Sharma K., McCarthy J., Mattingley B., Campbell M. and Kingham S. (2020) Area-level deprivation, childhood dental ambulatory sensitive hospitalizations and community water fluoridation: evidence from New Zealand. International journal of epidemiology 49(3): 908-916. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyaa043.
- Jia P., Yu C., Remais JV., Stein A., Liu Y., Brownson RC., Lakerveld J., Wu T., Yang L. and Smith M. (2020) Spatial Lifecourse Epidemiology Reporting Standards (ISLE-ReSt) statement. Health and Place 61 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2019.102243.