Research in the environmental chemistry group focuses on the fate and behaviour of contaminants in the environment including human exposure to contaminants. Our projects are interdisciplinary and collaborative. Current projects include determining the effects of environmental stressors and contaminants on production of cyanotoxins in Canterbury waterways, investigating the effects of co-contamination of copper on pesticide degradation in soil and the presence of endocrine disrupting compounds in Antarctic waters and animals.
- Charan-Dixon H., Goldstien SJ., Vanderhaven BJ., Halafihi T., Tuiano TL., Gaw S. and Glover CN. (2019) Effects of traditional fishing techniques on internal organ regeneration, physiology, and biochemistry in the tropical sea cucumber Stichopus horrens. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 510: 15-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2018.09.007.
- Charry MP., Northcott GL., Gaw S., Keesing V., Costello MJ. and Tremblay LA. (2019) Development of acute and chronic toxicity bioassays using the pelagic copepod Gladioferens pectinatus. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 174: 611-617. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2019.03.022.
- McRae NK., Gaw S., Brooks BW. and Glover CN. (2019) Oxidative stress in the galaxiid fish, Galaxias maculatus, exposed to binary waterborne mixtures of the pro-oxidant cadmium and the anti-oxidant diclofenac. Environmental Pollution : 638-646. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2019.01.073.
- De Silva NAL., Marsden ID., Gaw S. and Glover CN. (2018) Acute waterborne cadmium toxicity in the estuarine pulmonate mud snail, Amphibola crenata. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 158: 274-283. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2018.04.041.
- Jensen H., Gaw S., Lehto NJ., Hassall L. and Robinson BH. (2018) The mobility and plant uptake of gallium and indium, two emerging contaminants associated with electronic waste and other sources. Chemosphere 209: 675-684. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2018.06.111.