Research in the environmental chemistry group focuses on the fate and behaviour of contaminants in the environment including human exposure to contaminants. Our projects are interdisciplinary and collaborative. Current projects include determining the effects of environmental stressors and contaminants on production of cyanotoxins in Canterbury waterways, investigating the effects of co-contamination of copper on pesticide degradation in soil and the presence of endocrine disrupting compounds in Antarctic waters and animals.
- Bridson JH., Gaugler EC., Smith DA., Northcott GL. and Gaw S. (2021) Leaching and extraction of additives from plastic pollution to inform environmental risk: A multidisciplinary review of analytical approaches. Journal of Hazardous Materials 414 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2021.125571.
- De Silva NAL., Marsden ID., Taylor R., Gaw S. and Glover CN. (2021) Population responses of the pulmonate gastropod, Amphibola crenata, reflect estuarine trace metal contamination. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2021.1929350.
- Jermy MC., Spence CJT., Kirton R., O’Donnell JF., Kabaliuk N., Gaw S., Hockey H., Jiang Y., Zulkhairi Abidin Z. and Dougherty RL. (2021) Assessment of dispersion of airborne particles of oral/nasal fluid by high flow nasal cannula therapy. PLoS ONE 16(2 February) http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0246123.
- Knobloch E., Ruffell H., Aves A., Pantos O., Gaw S. and Revell LE. (2021) Comparison of Deposition Sampling Methods to Collect Airborne Microplastics in Christchurch, New Zealand. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 232(4) http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11270-021-05080-9.
- Lischka A., Betty EL., Braid HE., Pook CJ., Gaw S. and Bolstad KSR. (2021) Trace element concentrations, including Cd and Hg, in long-finned pilot whales (Globicephala melas edwardii) mass stranded on the New Zealand coast. Marine Pollution Bulletin 165 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2021.112084.