Qualifications & Memberships
Research in our lab focuses on the structure, function and inhibition of key enzymes involved in infection and disease. We are also interested in the evolution of enzyme function, and conversely its design and manipulation.
We study a variety of enzymes: from those responsible for the biosynthesis of amino acids, in particular lysine, since these are validated drug targets; to glycolytic enzymes, such as pyruvate kinase, since these are tractable model systems to understand enzyme allostery. The list is ever increasing.
A common theme in the lab is the role protein-protein interactions in a variety of biological systems, mostly derived from bacteria, but more recently including eukaryotic proteins involved in cancer, where we hope to address the twin problems of how and why proteins form complexes and the functional consequences of these associations.
- Currie MJ., Manjunath L., Horne CR., Rendle PM., Subramanian R., Friemann R., Fairbanks AJ., Muscroft-Taylor AC., North RA. and Dobson RCJ. (2021) N-Acetylmannosamine-6-phosphate 2-epimerase uses a novel substrate-assisted mechanism to catalyze amino sugar epimerization.. J Biol Chem : 101113. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbc.2021.101113.
- Davies JS., Currie MJ., Wright JD., Newton-Vesty MC., North RA., Mace PD., Allison JR. and Dobson RCJ. (2021) Selective Nutrient Transport in Bacteria: Multicomponent Transporter Systems Reign Supreme. Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences 8 http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmolb.2021.699222.
- Horne CR., Venugopal H., Panjikar S., Wood DM., Henrickson A., Brookes E., North RA., Murphy JM., Friemann R. and Griffin MDW. (2021) Mechanism of NanR gene repression and allosteric induction of bacterial sialic acid metabolism. Nature Communications 12(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-021-22253-6.
- Hudson-King TR., Ahuriri-Driscoll A. and Dobson R. (2021) Consulting with Māori during development of a point-of-care device; translational and experiential findings. SOCARXIV papers http://dx.doi.org/10.31235/osf.io/w2tbc.
- Klionsky DJ., Abdel-Aziz AK., Abdelfatah S., Abdellatif M., Abdoli A., Abel S., Abeliovich H., Abildgaard MH., Abudu YP. and Acevedo-Arozena A. (2021) Guidelines for the use and interpretation of assays for monitoring autophagy (4th edition)1. Autophagy 17(1): 1-382. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15548627.2020.1797280.