Qualifications & Memberships
Research in our lab focuses on the structure, function and inhibition of key enzymes involved in infection and disease. We are also interested in the evolution of enzyme function, and conversely its design and manipulation.
We study a variety of enzymes: from those responsible for the biosynthesis of amino acids, in particular lysine, since these are validated drug targets; to glycolytic enzymes, such as pyruvate kinase, since these are tractable model systems to understand enzyme allostery. The list is ever increasing.
A common theme in the lab is the role protein-protein interactions in a variety of biological systems, mostly derived from bacteria, but more recently including eukaryotic proteins involved in cancer, where we hope to address the twin problems of how and why proteins form complexes and the functional consequences of these associations.
- Abeysekera GS., Love MJ., Manners SH., Billington C. and Dobson RCJ. (2022) Bacteriophage-encoded lethal membrane disruptors: Advances in understanding and potential applications. Frontiers in Microbiology 13 http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2022.1044143.
- Board AJ., Crowther JM., Acevedo-Fani A., Meisrimler CN., Jameson GB. and Dobson RCJ. (2022) How plants solubilise seed fats: revisiting oleosin structure and function to inform commercial applications. Biophysical Reviews 14(1): 257-266. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12551-021-00923-5.
- Bozzola T., Scalise M., Larsson CU., Newton-Vesty MC., Rovegno C., Mitra A., Cramer J., Wahlgren WY., Radhakrishnan Santhakumari P. and Johnsson RE. (2022) Sialic Acid Derivatives Inhibit SiaT Transporters and Delay Bacterial Growth. ACS Chemical Biology 17(7): 1890-1900. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acschembio.2c00321.
- Harper AR., Dobson RCJ., Morris VK. and Moggré GJ. (2022) Fermentation of plant-based dairy alternatives by lactic acid bacteria. Microbial Biotechnology 15(5): 1404-1421. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1751-7915.14008.
- Lassé M., Stampfli AR., Orban T., Bothara RK., Gerrard JA., Fairbanks AJ., Pattinson NR. and Dobson RCJ. (2022) Corrigendum to “Reaction dynamics and residue identification of haemoglobin modification by acrolein, a lipid-peroxidation by-product” [Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - General Subjects Volume 1865, Issue 12, December 2021, 130013] (BBA - General Subjects (2021) 1865(12), (S0304416521001720), (10.1016/j.bbagen.2021.130013)). Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - General Subjects 1866(5) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2022.130117.