Qualifications & Memberships
Assoc Prof McAuliffe leads the University of Canterbury Speech Production-Perception Research Laboratory (UC Speech Lab), is Deputy Director of the New Zealand Institute of Language, Brain & Behaviour (NZILBB) and leads the Language & Ageing Research Theme of the NZILBB.
UC Speech Lab aims to conduct research of scientific and theoretical significance with clear application to the clinical practice of speech-language therapy and audiology. We study the interaction between the speech signal and a listener’s perception of that signal. We are particularly interested in adverse listening conditions, and use both naturally (e.g., dysarthric) and artificially distorted speech signals to investigate our questions of interest.
- Babel M., McAuliffe M., Norton C., Senior B. and Vaughn C. (2019) The goldilocks zone of perceptual learning. Phonetica 76(2-3): 179-200. http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000494929.
- Fletcher AR., Risi RA., Wisler A. and McAuliffe MJ. (2019) Examining Listener Reaction Time in the Perceptual Assessment of Dysarthria. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000499752.
- Hsu SC., McAuliffe MJ., Lin P., Wu RM. and Levy ES. (2019) Acoustic and Perceptual Consequences of Speech Cues for Mandarin Speakers With Parkinson's Disease. American journal of speech-language pathology 28(2): 521-535. http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/2018_AJSLP-18-0020.
- Dampney A., Newbury JM. and McAuliffe M. (2018) Exploring early childhood educator beliefs and practices in emergent literacy: Does practice vary by the socioeconomic status of the children? New Zealand International Research in Early Childhood Education Journal 21(2): 1-18.
- McAuliffe MJ., Schluter PJ. and Jamieson HA. (2018) An epidemiological profile of communication disability among older adults with complex needs: A national cross-sectional study. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17549507.2018.1495763.