Qualifications & Memberships
Assoc Prof McAuliffe leads the University of Canterbury Speech Production-Perception Research Laboratory (UC Speech Lab), is Deputy Director of the New Zealand Institute of Language, Brain & Behaviour (NZILBB) and leads the Language & Ageing Research Theme of the NZILBB.
UC Speech Lab aims to conduct research of scientific and theoretical significance with clear application to the clinical practice of speech-language therapy and audiology. We study the interaction between the speech signal and a listener’s perception of that signal. We are particularly interested in adverse listening conditions, and use both naturally (e.g., dysarthric) and artificially distorted speech signals to investigate our questions of interest.
- Fletcher AR., Risi RA., Wisler A. and McAuliffe MJ. (2019) Examining Listener Reaction Time in the Perceptual Assessment of Dysarthria. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000499752.
- Hsu SC., McAuliffe MJ., Lin P., Wu RM. and Levy ES. (2019) Acoustic and Perceptual Consequences of Speech Cues for Mandarin Speakers With Parkinson's Disease. American journal of speech-language pathology 28(2): 521-535. http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/2018_AJSLP-18-0020.
- Dampney A., Newbury JM. and McAuliffe M. (2018) Exploring early childhood educator beliefs and practices in emergent literacy: Does practice vary by the socioeconomic status of the children? New Zealand International Research in Early Childhood Education Journal 21(2): 1-18.
- McAuliffe MJ., Schluter PJ. and Jamieson HA. (2018) An epidemiological profile of communication disability among older adults with complex needs: A national cross-sectional study. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17549507.2018.1495763.
- Moya-Galé G., Goudarzi A., Bayés À., McAuliffe M., Bulté B. and Levy ES. (2018) The effects of intensive speech treatment on conversational intelligibility in spanish speakers with parkinson’s disease. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 27(1): 154-165. http://dx.doi.org/10.1044/2017_AJSLP-17-0032.