Science Communication - Teach and support students and staff in editing, design and print for posters, presentations and publications.
Outreach - Manage, develop and present a range of Biology outreach modules to primary and secondary schools.
Scientific Photography - Studio and location photos for thesis, posters, presentations and publication.
Design of Technical Figures - Extensive experience designing figures for scientific publications to effectively communicate complex scientific information within the constraints of journal guidelines.
- Kraberger S., Schmidlin K., Fontenele RS., Walters M. and Varsani A. (2019) Unravelling the single-stranded DNA virome of the New Zealand blackfly. Viruses 11(6) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/v11060532.
- Oso S., Walters M., Schlechter RO. and Remus-Emsermann MNP. (2019) Utilisation of hydrocarbons and production of surfactants by bacteria isolated from plant leaf surfaces. FEMS Microbiology Letters 366(6) http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/femsle/fnz061.
- Kraberger S., Geering ADW., Walters M., Martin DP. and Varsani A. (2017) Novel mastreviruses identified in Australian wild rice. Virus Research 238: 193-197. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2017.07.003.
- Kraberger S., Saumtally S., Pande D., Khoodoo MHR., Dhayan S., Dookun-Saumtally A., Shepherd DN., Hartnady P., Atkinson R. and Lakay FM. (2017) Molecular diversity, geographic distribution and host range of monocot-infecting mastreviruses in Africa and surrounding islands. Virus Research 238: 171-178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2017.07.001.
- Walters M., Knight A., Chapman HM., Kraberger S., Stainton D., Varsani A., Bawuro M. and Christopher A. (2017) Novel single-stranded DNA virus genomes recovered from chimpanzee feces sampled from the Mambilla Plateau in Nigeria. American Society for Microbiology 5(9): e01715-e01716. http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.01715-16.
- Science Communication - Teach and support students and staff in editing, design and print for posters, presentations and publications. Effective Poster Design, Communication Design: Graphics and Figures.
- Outreach - Manage, develop and present a range of Biology outreach modules to primary and secondary schools. Including Gel Electrophoresis Laboratory module. Coordinate school visits and student tours.
- Scientific Photography - Studio and location photos for thesis, posters, presentations and publication.
- Information Design - the translation of complex, unorganised, or unstructured data into valuable, meaningful information.
- Design of Technical Figures - Extensive experience designing figures for scientific publications to effectively communicate complex scientific information within the constraints of journal guidelines.
- Training and troubleshooting for graphics software - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, Acrobat, Dreamweaver.
- Web - maintain and develop content on the Biological Sciences websites.
Recent Communications Outputs
- Plant photography guide Which parts of the plant should I photograph. Now also available in Spanish Which parts of the plant should I photograph - Spanish.
- Botanical photography and taxonomy to produce An illustrated checklist of the flora of Ngel Nyaki Forest Reserve, Nigeria
- Photography and figure design for a research paper on Human-Assisted Spread of a Maladaptive Behaviour in a Critically Endangered Bird. Featured on Phenomena - A science salon - National Geographic
- Design, photography and editing of Biomolecular Interaction Centre BIC Annual Report 2013
- Design and publication of A Photographic Guidebook to the Freshwater Invertebrates of the Mambilla Plateau
- Virtual field trip to ancient New Zealand. School outreach project on the Black Robin
Recent Conference Poster Designs
- Becoming a Trusted Broker of Knowledge, Sept 2018, invited workshop at QuakeCoRE Annual meeting
- Communication Design workshop, Annually in Feb and July 2012-2017, postgraduate students of Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Sciences, UC.
- Botanical Photography Seminar and Workshop, Annually 2009-2018, Biology 305 Practical Field Botany course.
- Biology 429 Conservation Genetics, May 2016-18, co-presented seminars on species conservation, focus on communicating science.
- Adventures in Scientific Photography, September 2017, invited lecture to Nature Photography Society of New Zealand
- A beginner’s guide to successfully communicating your science, July 2017, invited workshops at New Zealand Marine Sciences Society conference.
- Barriers to communication workshop, April 2017, invited workshop at Disastrous Doctorates conference.
- Twitter 101 - May 2016, Science Communicators' Association of New Zealand workshop (co-presenter)
- Communication Design Workshop - Conference Posters - May 2016-18, Waterways Centre for Freshwater Management postgraduate students
- Poster Design Seminar, annually in November 2013-2017, He Puna Putaiao programme, Science Outreach, UC
- Communication Design - Effective Graphics - Nov 2015, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand National Conference
- 252 Black Robins, One Island, Many Stories - May 2015, A trilogy of stories presented to the Christchurch Bird Club
- Figure it Out, Workshop on designing technical figures - March 2015, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand, Christchurch
- Mastering MailChimp Workshop, Sept 2014, International Association of Business Communicators, South Island Branch
- Insect Photography Workshop, Sept 2014, Sept 2012, Biology 211 Invertebrate Biology class
- Adventures in Science Communication, August 2014, Ecopathways seminar series at Lincoln University
- Communication Design - Workshop on Conference Posters, Mar 2014, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand conference. Additional notes: Effective Poster Design
- Presentation Design Seminar, Sept 2013, Biological Sciences Postgraduate students
- Adventures in Science Communication, July 2013, Joint event by the International Association of Business Communicators (South Island) and The Science Communicators Association of New Zealand
- Introduction to Botanical Photography, Oct 2012, Christchurch Botanical Society
- A Trip to Ancient New Zealand, July 2010, Canterbury Science Teachers Association
- Rangatira Island Life, July 2009, Christchurch Bird Club
- British Science Association Science Communication Conference, Manchester, 2015
- Science Communicators Association of New Zealand (SCANZ) Annual Conferences 2004-2018
- Public Communication of Science and Technology (PCST) Conference, Capetown 2002, Dunedin 2018