Science Communication - Teach and support students and staff in research informed communication methods.
Scientific Photography - Studio and location photos for research, presentation and publication.
Design of Technical Figures - Extensive experience designing figures for scientific publications to effectively communicate complex scientific information within the constraints of journal guidelines.
Remote, distance and blended learning design - developing research informed teaching practices.
- Kraberger S., Schmidlin K., Fontenele RS., Walters M. and Varsani A. (2019) Unravelling the single-stranded DNA virome of the New Zealand blackfly. Viruses 11(6) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/v11060532.
- Oso S., Walters M., Schlechter RO. and Remus-Emsermann MNP. (2019) Utilisation of hydrocarbons and production of surfactants by bacteria isolated from plant leaf surfaces. FEMS Microbiology Letters 366(6) http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/femsle/fnz061.
- Kraberger S., Geering ADW., Walters M., Martin DP. and Varsani A. (2017) Novel mastreviruses identified in Australian wild rice. Virus Research 238: 193-197. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2017.07.003.
- Kraberger S., Saumtally S., Pande D., Khoodoo MHR., Dhayan S., Dookun-Saumtally A., Shepherd DN., Hartnady P., Atkinson R. and Lakay FM. (2017) Molecular diversity, geographic distribution and host range of monocot-infecting mastreviruses in Africa and surrounding islands. Virus Research 238: 171-178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2017.07.001.
- Walters M., Knight A., Chapman HM., Kraberger S., Stainton D., Varsani A., Bawuro M. and Christopher A. (2017) Novel single-stranded DNA virus genomes recovered from chimpanzee feces sampled from the Mambilla Plateau in Nigeria. American Society for Microbiology 5(9): e01715-e01716. http://dx.doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.01715-16.
- Science Communication - Teach and support students and staff in communication design for posters, presentations and publications and video. Effective Poster Design, Communication Design: Graphics and Figures.
- Scientific Photography - Studio and location photos for thesis, posters, presentations and publication.
- Information Design - the translation of complex, unorganised, or unstructured data into valuable, meaningful information.
- Design of Technical Figures - Extensive experience designing figures for scientific publications to effectively communicate complex scientific information within the constraints of journal guidelines.
- Training and troubleshooting for graphics software - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro, ImageJ, Acrobat.
- Web - maintain and develop content on the Biological Sciences websites.
- Outreach - Manage, develop and present a range of Biology outreach modules to primary and secondary school students and teachers.
- Coordinate school visits and student tours.
- Lead the annual ABC student showcase
- Gel electrophoresis laboratory
- Photosynthesis with encapsulated algae laboratory
- Biodiversity monitoring kit
- The Art of Scienctific photography
Communications Outputs (selected)
- Plant photography guide Which parts of the plant should I photograph. Also available in Spanish Which parts of the plant should I photograph - Spanish.
- Botanical photography and taxonomy to produce An illustrated checklist of the flora of Ngel Nyaki Forest Reserve, Nigeria
- Expert Reaction for the Science Media Centre on Using comics to explain research
- Photography and figure design for a research paper on Human-Assisted Spread of a Maladaptive Behaviour in a Critically Endangered Bird. Featured on Phenomena - A science salon - National Geographic
- Design, photography and editing of Biomolecular Interaction Centre BIC Annual Report 2013
- Design and publication of A Photographic Guidebook to the Freshwater Invertebrates of the Mambilla Plateau
- Virtual field trip to ancient New Zealand. School outreach project on the Black Robin
Invited Presentations and Workshops (selected)
- Communication Design, New Zealand Brain Research Institute, July 2021
- Science communication and poster design seminars Riddet Institute, Nov. 2020 and March 2021
- Workshop on Becoming a trusted broker of knowledge, QuakeCoRe Conference, Sept 2018
- Workshop on Barriers to communication, Disastrous Doctorates, March 2017
- Adventures in Scientific Photography, Nature Photography Society of New Zealand, Sept 2017
- A beginner’s guide to successfully communicating your science workshops (x3), New Zealand Marine Sciences Society conference, July 2017
- Twitter 101 workshop, Science Communicators' Association of New Zealand (co-presenter) May 2016
- 252 Black Robins, One Island, Many Stories - A trilogy of stories presented to the Christchurch Bird Club, May 2015
- Figure it Out, Workshop on designing technical figures, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand, March 2015
- Mastering MailChimp Workshop, International Association of Business Communicators, South Island Branch, Sept 2014
- Adventures in Science Communication, Ecopathways seminar series at Lincoln University, Aug 2014
- Adventures in Science Communication, Joint event by the International Association of Business Communicators (South Island) and The Science Communicators Association of New Zealand, July 2013
- Introduction to Botanical Photography, Christchurch Botanical Society, Oct 2012
- A Trip to Ancient New Zealand, Canterbury Science Teachers Association, July 2010
- Rangatira Island Life, Christchurch Bird Club, July 2009
- Biology 305 Practical Field Botany Field Coure, co-teach course, focus on plant taxonomy, botanical photography, Annually 2009-2021
- Biology 429 Conservation Genetics, co-teach course on species conservation, focus on communicating science, Annually 2016-21
- Chemisty 431 Research Methods 2, lecture on communication design, July 2015-2021
- Geography 402 Resilient Cities, workshop on communication design, May 2021
- Biology 411 Research Preparation, lecture on the science of science communication, networking, Feb 2007-2021 Annually
- Biology 211 Invertebrate Biology, insect photography laboratory, Sept 2012, 2014,
- Envronmental Sciences 414 Case Studies in Environmental Science, lecture on Communicating as a Scientist, 2012-2019,
- He Puna Pūtaiao Science Outreach programme, UC, Nov. 2013-2020 Poster Design workshop
- Waterways Centre for Freshwater Management postgraduate students, Communication Design Workshop - Conference Posters - May 2016-20
- College of Science Outstanding General Staff Award (2018)
- Vice-Chancellors General Staff Development Award (2014)
- QEII Technicians Study Award (2006)
- QEII Technicians Study Award (2002)
- Communication Design - Effective Graphics - Nov 2015, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand National Conference
- Communication Design - Workshop on Conference Posters, Mar 2014, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand conference.
- British Science Association Science Communication Conference, Manchester, 2015
- Science Communicators Association of New Zealand (SCANZ) Annual Conferences 2004-2020
- Public Communication of Science and Technology (PCST) Conference, Capetown 2002, Dunedin 2018