I am an ecologist that research environmental impacts on coastal plant and animal communities. My research focuses on how human stressors, such as bio-invasions, pollution, and climate change, impact the structure, productivity and biodiversity of aquatic ecosystems. I combine experiments, surveys, analysis of long-term dataset, modeling and meta-analysis, to test how patterns in biological communities are generated and maintained. My research provides predictions on how coastal habitats will respond to human stressors and recommendations for conservation strategies needed to ameliorate their impacts.
- Thomsen MS., Altieri AH., Angelini C., Bishop MJ., Bulleri F., Farhan R., Frühling VMM., Gribben PE., Harrison SB. and He Q. (2022) Heterogeneity within and among co-occurring foundation species increases biodiversity. Nature Communications 13(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-022-28194-y.
- Thomsen MS., Altieri AH., Angelini C., Bishop MJ., Bulleri F., Farhan R., Frühling VMM., Gribben PE., Harrison SB. and He Q. (2022) Publisher Correction: Heterogeneity within and among co-occurring foundation species increases biodiversity (Nature Communications, (2022), 13, 1, (581), 10.1038/s41467-022-28194-y). Nature Communications 13(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-022-29347-9.
- Thoral F., Montie S., Thomsen MS., Tait LW., Pinkerton MH. and Schiel DR. (2022) Unravelling seasonal trends in coastal marine heatwave metrics across global biogeographical realms. Scientific reports 12(1): 7740. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-11908-z.
- Bass A., Wernberg T., Thomsen M. and Smale D. (2021) Another Decade of Marine Climate Change Experiments: Trends, Progress and Knowledge Gaps. Frontiers in Marine Science 8 http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2021.714462.
- Ren J., Chen J., Xu C., van de Koppel J., Thomsen MS., Qiu S., Cheng F., Song W., Liu QX. and Xu C. (2021) An invasive species erodes the performance of coastal wetland protected areas. Science Advances 7(42) http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.abi8943.