I am an ecologist that research environmental impacts on coastal plant and animal communities. My research focuses on how human stressors, such as bio-invasions, pollution, and climate change, impact the structure, productivity and biodiversity of aquatic ecosystems. I combine experiments, surveys, analysis of long-term dataset, modeling and meta-analysis, to test how patterns in biological communities are generated and maintained. My research provides predictions on how coastal habitats will respond to human stressors and recommendations for conservation strategies needed to ameliorate their impacts.
- Tait LW., Thoral F., Pinkerton MH., Thomsen MS. and Schiel DR. (2021) Loss of Giant Kelp, Macrocystis pyrifera, Driven by Marine Heatwaves and Exacerbated by Poor Water Clarity in New Zealand. Frontiers in Marine Science 8 http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2021.721087.
- Thomsen MS., Mondardini L., Thoral F., Gerber D., Montie S., South PM., Tait L., Orchard S., Alestra T. and Schiel DR. (2021) Cascading impacts of earthquakes and extreme heatwaves have destroyed populations of an iconic marine foundation species. Diversity and Distributions http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ddi.13407.
- Gribben PE., Poore AGB., Thomsen MS., Quesey P., Weschke E. and Wright JT. (2020) Habitat provided by native species facilitates higher abundances of an invader in its introduced compared to native range. Scientific Reports 10(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-63429-2.
- Montie S., Thomsen MS., Rack W. and Broady PA. (2020) Extreme summer marine heatwaves increase chlorophyll a in the Southern Ocean. Antarctic Science 32(6): 508-509. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0954102020000401.
- Salinger MJ., Diamond HJ., Behrens E., Fernandez D., Fitzharris BB., Herold N., Johnstone P., Kerckhoffs H., Mullan AB. and Parker AK. (2020) Unparalleled coupled ocean-atmosphere summer heatwaves in the New Zealand region: drivers, mechanisms and impacts. Climatic Change 162(2): 485-506. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10584-020-02730-5.