I am an ecologist that research environmental impacts on coastal plant and animal communities. My research focuses on how human stressors, such as bio-invasions, pollution, and climate change, impact the structure, productivity and biodiversity of aquatic ecosystems. I combine experiments, surveys, analysis of long-term dataset, modeling and meta-analysis, to test how patterns in biological communities are generated and maintained. My research provides predictions on how coastal habitats will respond to human stressors and recommendations for conservation strategies needed to ameliorate their impacts.
- Siciliano A., Schiel DR. and Thomsen MS. (2019) Effects of local anthropogenic stressors on a habitat cascade in an estuarine seagrass system. Marine and Freshwater Research http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/MF18414.
- Smale DA., Wernberg T., Oliver ECJ., Thomsen M., Harvey BP., Straub SC., Burrows MT., Alexander LV., Benthuysen JA. and Donat MG. (2019) Marine heatwaves threaten global biodiversity and the provision of ecosystem services. Nature Climate Change 9(4): 306-312. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41558-019-0412-1.
- Thomsen MS. and South PM. (2019) Communities and Attachment Networks Associated with Primary, Secondary and Alternative Foundation Species; A Case Study of Stressed and Disturbed Stands of Southern Bull Kelp. Diversity 11(4): 56-56. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/d11040056.
- Thomsen MS., Mondardini L., Alestra T., Gerrity S., Tait L., South PM., Lilley SA. and Schiel DR. (2019) Local Extinction of bull kelp (Durvillaea spp.) due to a marine heatwave. Frontiers in Marine Science 6(MAR) http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2019.00084.
- Hobday AJ., Oliver ECJ., Gupta AS., Benthuysen JA., Burrows MT., Donat MG., Holbrook NJ., Moore PJ., Thomsen MS. and Wernberg T. (2018) Categorizing and naming marine heatwaves. Oceanography 31(2 Special Issue): 162-173. http://dx.doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2018.205.