Leanne’s research focuses on coastal hydrogeology, groundwater-surface water interaction, and water resource management. Her work addresses risks to water security in coastal zones including seawater intrusion, as caused by groundwater extraction and climate change. Current projects span a number of settings including offshore aquifers, shallow aquifers adjacent to tidal estuaries and coastal lagoons. Leanne employs various field methods in combination with variable-density groundwater flow and transport modelling to provide insight into physical processes and optimal water resource management. Recently, Leanne's research has extended to surface water-groundwater interaction in braided rivers. She is an Investigator in the MBIE Endeavour funded project: Subsurface processes in braided rivers – hyporheic exchange and leakage to groundwater. Additionally, she is collaborating with research teams in Australia, China, the Netherlands, Germany and USA on various projects. She holds a Research Fellowship with Flinders University, Australia and is an Associate Editor for Hydrogeology Journal.
Leanne coordinates and teaches the following subjects at University of Canterbury (UC) and Lincoln University (LU):
WATR401/601 Advanced Water Resources (UC and LU)
ENGE414 Applied Hydrogeology (UC)
Leanne teaches into the following subjects at UC and LU:
WATR202 Water on Land: Quality and Quantity (LU)
WATR302 Water on Land: Application and Management (LU)
WATR402/602 Determinants of Water Quality (UC and LU)
WATR403/603 Water Management, Policy and Planning (UC and LU)
- Clemens H., Pang L., Morgan L. and Weaver L. (2020) Removal of rotavirus, MS2 bacteriophage and biomolecule-modified silica nanoparticles in undisturbed silt loam over gravels dosed with onsite wastewater. Water Research 169 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2019.115272.
- Humphries B., Weaver L., Burbery L., Webber J., Morgan L. and Gregor J. (2020) Microbial pathogen removal from domestic effluent using coral sand in Kiribati. Journal of Applied Microbiology http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jam.14555.
- Walther M., Stoeckl L. and Morgan L. (2020) Post-pumping seawater intrusion at the field scale: implications for coastal aquifer management. Advances in Water Resources 138 103561 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.advwatres.2020.103561.
- Yu X., Russoniello C., Morgan L., Massman G. and Wang FC. (2020) Flow, Transport, and Reactions in Coastal Aquifers. Geofluids http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2020/3539052.
- Coluccio K. and Morgan L. (2019) A review of methods for measuring groundwater–surface water exchange in braided rivers. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 23: 4397-4417. http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/hess-23-4397-2019.