My research expertise is in the field of glaciology, specifically glacier mass balance, dynamics, and climate change, with a focus on mountain glaciers in the New Zealand Southern Alps. I am very interested in glaciological change that occurs over short temporal scales; that which impacts utilization of the glacier resource, for example glacier-tourism. I also focus on interactions and feedbacks between all aspects of glacier mass balance from snow accumulation processes to ablation processes, including the role of avalanche nourishment to glacier resilience. Most recently, I have been exploring rapid change at lake-calving glaciers.
For further information about my current research projects check out the project information at the following link....
Where you will find more information about:
*Climate change and rockfall on glaciers: implications for glacier tourism
*Glacier mass balance and avalanche nourishment: Rolleston Glacier, New Zealand
*Bathymetric and terminus evolution at Tasman Glacier
- Purdie H., Hughes Hutton J., Stewart E. and Espiner S. (2019) Implications of a changing alpine environment for geotourism: A case study from Aoraki/Munt Cook, New Zealand. Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism.
- Gomez C. and Purdie HL. (2018) Point cloud technology and 2D computational flow dynamic modeling for rapid hazards and disaster risk appraisal on Yellow Creek fan, Southern Alps of New Zealand. Progress in Earth and Planetary Science 5(50): 10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40645-018-0208-3.
- Purdie H., Anderson B., Mackintosh A. and Lawson W. (2018) Revisiting glaciological measurements on Haupapa/Tasman Glacier, New Zealand, in a contemporary context. Geografiska Annaler, Series A: Physical Geography 100(4): 351-369. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/04353676.2018.1522958.
- Purdie HL. and Kerr T. (2018) Aoraki Mount Cook: Environmental change on an iconic mountaineering route. Mountain Research and Development 38(4): 364-379. http://dx.doi.org/10.1659/MRD-JOURNAL-D-18-00042.1.
- Gomez C. and Purdie H. (2016) UAV-based photogrammetry and geocomputing for hazards and disaster risk monitoring - a review. Geoenvironmental Disasters 3(23): 1-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40677-016-0060-y.