My research expertise is in the field of glaciology, specifically glacier mass balance, dynamics, and climate change, with a focus on mountain glaciers in Te Tiritiri-o-te-moana, the New Zealand Southern Alps. I am very interested in glaciological change that occurs over short temporal scales; that which impacts utilization of the glacier resource, for example glacier-tourism. I also focus on interactions and feedbacks between all aspects of glacier mass balance from snow accumulation processes to ablation processes, including the role of avalanche nourishment to glacier resilience. Most recently, I have been exploring rapid change at lake-calving glaciers, and the impact that crevasses have on glacier mass balance...
Current research projects:
* The role of crevasses on surface energy balance of alpine glaciers
* Bathymetric and terminus evolution at lake calving glaciers
* Morphological evolution and feedbacks at retreating glacier termini
* Characteristics of alpine snowpacks - managing snow in a warming world
* Implications of glacier retreat on tourism and recreation
- Baumann S., Anderson B., Chinn T., Mackintosh A., Collier C., Lorrey AM., Rack W., Purdie H. and Eaves S. (2020) Updated inventory of glacier ice in New Zealand based on 2016 satellite imagery. Journal of Glaciology : 1-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jog.2020.78.
- Cody E., Anderson BM., McColl ST., Fuller IC. and Purdie HL. (2020) Paraglacial adjustment of sediment slopes during and immediately after glacial debuttressing. Geomorphology 371 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2020.107411.
- Purdie H., Hughes Hutton J., Stewart E. and Espiner S. (2020) Implications of a changing alpine environment for geotourism: A case study from Aoraki/Mount Cook, New Zealand. Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism 29 100235: 10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jort.2019.100235.
- Gomez C. and Purdie HL. (2018) Point cloud technology and 2D computational flow dynamic modeling for rapid hazards and disaster risk appraisal on Yellow Creek fan, Southern Alps of New Zealand. Progress in Earth and Planetary Science 5(50): 10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s40645-018-0208-3.
- Purdie H., Anderson B., Mackintosh A. and Lawson W. (2018) Revisiting glaciological measurements on Haupapa/Tasman Glacier, New Zealand, in a contemporary context. Geografiska Annaler, Series A: Physical Geography 100(4): 351-369. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/04353676.2018.1522958.