Plant-animal interactions in tropical forests- especially seed dispersal, secondary seed dispersal and pollination. For example how different primate species disperse seed and what happens to this seed when their primary disperser becomes rare or goes extinct.
Understanding the evolution of unusual plant breeding systems in tropical trees. For example the evolution of female sterility in the legume Anthonotha noldeae.
Forest restoration- exploration of management techniques to promote forest restoration in Afromontane environments.
The role of hybridisation and speciation in the evolution of invasiveness in plants. In New Zealand invasive plants are a major contributor to biodiversity loss. What makes some species so invasive? Do they evolve this ability through hybridisation after arrival in NZ?
- Chapman JD. and Chapman HM. (2001) The forests of Taraba and Adamawa States, Nigeria. An ecological account and Plant Species Checklist. Christchurch: New Zealand. 221.
- Abiem I., Dickie I., Kenfack D. and Chapman H. (2021) Conspecific negative density dependence does not explain coexistence in a tropical Afromontane forest. Journal of Vegetation Science 32(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jvs.12990.
- Davies SJ., Abiem I., Abu Salim K., Aguilar S., Allen D., Alonso A., Anderson-Teixeira K., Andrade A., Arellano G. and Ashton PS. (2021) ForestGEO: Understanding forest diversity and dynamics through a global observatory network. Biological Conservation 253 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2020.108907.
- Abiem I., Arellano G., Kenfack D. and Chapman H. (2020) Afromontane forest diversity and the role of grassland-forest transition in tree species distribution. Diversity 12(1) http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/d12010030.
- Goldson SL., Barker GM., Chapman HM., Popay AJ., Stewart AV., Caradus JR. and Barratt BIP. (2020) Severe Insect Pest Impacts on New Zealand Pasture: The Plight of an Ecological Outlier. Journal of insect science (Online) 20(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jisesa/ieaa018.