Qualifications & Memberships
Deirdre researches the physical, biological and human (including built environments) processes and interactions in coastal environments via an approach that is fundamentally multi-disciplinary. She is passionate about the dissemination of coastal science through education, informed management, and community engagement. Her research and teaching interests include temperate and tropical coastal and river-mouth science, engineering and management, in New Zealand, Korea, Italy and the USA. Deirdre employs a range of techniques from field, to laboratory and numerical and theoretical modelling. She is interested in supervising Masters and PhD projects that align closely with her coastal/ multi-hazard research interests, including on river mouths, high-energy coasts, mudflats, reef sediments, pocket beaches and urban multi-hazards such as flooding and earthquake effects.
- Pitman SJ., Hart D. and Katurji M. (2019) Application of UAV techniques to expand beach research possibilities: A case study of coarse clastic beach cusps. Continental Shelf Research 184: 44-53. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2019.07.008.
- Pitman SJ., Jol HM., Shulmeister J. and Hart DE. (2019) Storm response of a mixed sand gravel beach ridge plain under falling relative sea levels: A stratigraphic investigation using ground penetrating radar. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 44(8): 1610-1617. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/esp.4598.
- Byun DS. and Hart DE. (2018) Predicting tidal currents using 25-h observations through a complete tidal species modulation with tidal current constant corrections method. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 35(12): 2405-2420. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JTECH-D-18-0120.1.
- Dombroski K., Watkins AF., Fitt H., Frater J., Banwell K., Mackenzie K., Mutambo L., Hawke K., Persendt F. and Turković J. (2018) Journeying from “I” to “we”: assembling hybrid caring collectives of geography doctoral scholars. Journal of Geography in Higher Education 42(1): 80-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2017.1335295.
- Byun D-S. and Hart DE. (2017) A robust interpolation procedure for producing tidal current ellipse inputs for regional and coastal ocean numerical models. Ocean Dynamics 67(3-4): 451-463. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10236-017-1037-4.