Qualifications & Memberships
Deirdre researches the physical, biological and human (including built environments) processes and interactions in coastal environments via an approach that is fundamentally multi-disciplinary. She is also passionate about the dissemination of coastal science through education, informed management, and community engagement. Her research and teaching interests include temperate and tropical coastal and river-mouth science, engineering and management, in New Zealand, Korea, Italy and the USA. Deirdre employs a range of techniques from field, to laboratory and numerical and theoretical modelling. She is interested in supervising Masters and PhD projects that align closely with her coastal/ multi-hazard research interests, including on river mouths, high-energy coasts, mudflats, reef sediments, pocket beaches and urban multi-hazards such as flooding and earthquake effects.
- Pitman SJ., Jol HM., Shulmeister J. and Hart DE. (2019) Storm response of a mixed sand gravel beach ridge plain under falling relative sea levels: A stratigraphic investigation using ground penetrating radar. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/esp.4598.
- Byun DS. and Hart DE. (2018) Predicting Tidal Currents Using 25-h Observations through a Complete Tidal Species Modulation with Tidal Current Constant Corrections Method. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 35(12): 2405-2420. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JTECH-D-18-0120.1.
- Dombroski K., Watkins AF., Fitt H., Frater J., Banwell K., Mackenzie K., Mutambo L., Hawke K., Persendt F. and Turković J. (2018) Journeying from “I” to “we”: assembling hybrid caring collectives of geography doctoral scholars. Journal of Geography in Higher Education 42(1): 80-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2017.1335295.
- Byun D-S. and Hart DE. (2017) A robust interpolation procedure for producing tidal current ellipse inputs for regional and coastal ocean numerical models. Ocean Dynamics 67(3-4): 451-463. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10236-017-1037-4.
- Kain C., Wassmer P., Goff J., Chagué-Goff C., Gomez C., Hart D., Fierro D., Jacobsen G. and Zawadzki A. (2017) Determining flow patterns and emplacement dynamics from tsunami deposits with no visible sedimentary structure. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 42(5): 763-780. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/esp.4020.