Temporary accommodation

Temporary accommodation is usually a private fully-furnished room paid for on a daily or weekly basis.

Please note:  The links and contacts listed on this site have not been vetted by the University of Canterbury's Accommodation Services team.

Landing Page for Temp Accom

Temporary accommodation options

Options in Christchurch include hotels and motels, hostels and backpackers, bed and breakfast, or privately rented rooms, houses and apartments.  Temporary accommodation may be required if you are visiting UC, if you are travelling with a partner or family while searching for permanent accommodation, or if your hall of residence is not able to check you in when you arrive in Christchurch ie you arrive outside office hours or at weekends.

Short-term accommodation on campus

Sonoda Christchurch Campus offers temporary accommodation for individual students.  Rooms are fully-furnished in shared apartments.  The cost for a single room is $NZ406 (2023 rate) per week (minumum stay two weeks).  Please note:  Accommodation is not available 12 January-31 March 2024.

Check availability by contacting the hall directly
T: +64 3 595 2477
E: sonoda@unilodge.co.nz

Short to long-term accommodation off campus

Graduate House offers short to long term accommodation for postgraduate individuals and couples.  Located at 23 Creyke Road, they are right on the perimeter of the campus.  Contact Graduate House directly at info@graduatehouse.co.nz

Kahu Apartments offers short to long term accommodation for postgraduate individuals and couples.  Located at 17 Newnham Terrace, they are a short 10 minute walk to campus.  Minimum stay 4 weeks.  Rent is NZ$185 per week including power and unlimited internet.  Contact Kahu Apartments directly at enquiries@kahuapartments.co.nz

 Walking distance to UC

Close to Christchurch International Airport 

Hotels and motels

Hostels and backpackers

Bed and breakfast

Privately rented rooms, houses and apartments

More information

Contact Accommodation Services/Te Ratonga Nohonga for more information and advice.