Susan’s key areas of research are modern and contemporary Japanese literature (Meiji era to present), with an emphasis on woman writers, in particular post war Japanese women writers' fiction, atomic bomb literature, and fiction by contemporary Okinawan-Japanese novelists. Her research papers and publications comprise literary analyses, in both English and Japanese, and translations of fiction, poetry and essays of a number of contemporary writers. Another area of interest is Japanese film, including animated film.
- Bouterey S. and Marceau LE. (2018) Crisis and Disaster in Japan and New Zealand: Actors, Victims and Ramifications. Palgrave Macmillan. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-0244-2.
- Bouterey S., Ji FY., Lin JH. and Liu XH. (2013) East Meets West: Cultures, Literatures and Languages in the Global Age. Beijing: Beijing Normal University Publishing Group. 360pp.
- Bouterey S. (2019) Interpreters at the Front Line: Some Reflections on the 2011 Christchurch Earthquake. In Bouterey S; Marceau LE (Ed.), Crisis and Disaster in Japan and New Zealand: Actors, Victims and Ramifications: 143-157. Singapore: Palgrave Macmillan. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-0244-2_9.
- Bouterey S. and Marceau LE. (2019) Introduction. In Bouterey S; Marceau LE (Ed.), Crisis and Disaster in Japan and New Zealand: Actors, Victims and Ramifications: 1-11. Singapore: Palgrave Macmillan. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-0244-2_1.
- Bouterey S. (2018) 災害時における外国人被害者に対する通訳の役割と問題点. In Takakura H; Yamaguchi M (Ed.), 震災後の地域文化と被災者の民俗誌：フィールド災害人文学の構築 (First Edition ed.): 265-279. Tokyo: Shinsensha.