Research interests include cognitive & semiotic aspects of political and mass media discourses, image studies & national identity studies in the EU context.
- Chaban N., Elgström O. and Knodt M. (2019) Perceptions of EU mediation and mediation effectiveness: Comparing perspectives from Ukraine and the EU'. Cooperation and Conflict http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0010836718823813.
- Chaban N. and Chaban A. (2018) Communicating Europe beyond its borders: Imagining the EU in Ukraine post-Maidan. European Foreign Affairs Review 23(1/1): 119-138.
- Chaban N. and Elgström O. (2018) Constructing bridges and fostering growth: Interdisciplinary insights into European Union role conceptions and prescriptions. Cognition, Communication, Discourse.
- Chaban N. and Elgström O. (2018) On a Journey with Uncertain Destination. Metaphors and Images of the European Union in Russian and Ukrainian Media after Brexit Vote. European Foreign Affairs Review 23(1/1): 159-176.
- Chaban N. and O'Loughlin B. (2018) The EU’s Crisis Diplomacy in Ukraine: The Matrix of Possibilities. Journal of International Affairs 71: 61-68.