Professor Natalia Chaban focuses her interdisciplinary research on cognitive and semiotic aspects of political and media discourses, image and perceptions studies within the EU and IR contexts, and public diplomacy and political communication. Natalia widely publishes including articles in high impact journals such as the Journal of Common Market Studies, Cooperation and Conflict, Journal of European Integration, Foreign Policy Analysis, Mobilities, Comparative European Politics.
Professor Chaban is a twice awarded Jean Monnet Chair, President of Ukrainian Studies Association of Australia and New Zealand, co-editor of the peer-reviewed "Australian and New Zealand Journal of European Studies" and leader of a number of transnational research projects supported by the European Commission and NATO.
Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Advanced Studies (ISA), University of Bologna, Italy
Member of Advisory Boards of peer-reviewed journals "European Foreign Affairs Review" and "Media, War, Conflict"
Visiting Professor, Vytautas Magnus University, Lithuania
Adjunct Professor, Cherkasy National University, Ukraine
Vice-Leader, Work Group 2 “Perceptions and Communication”, COST Action ENTER "EU Foreign Policy Facing New Directions", European Commission
Member of International Advisory Board of the project Swedish Feminist Foreign Policy (FFP), supported by Riksbankens Jubileums Fond, Lund University, Sweden
- Chaban N. and Elgström O. (2021) Politicization of EU development policy: The role of EU external perceptions (case of Ukraine). Journal of Common Market Studies forthcoming.
- Chaban N. (2020) Perceptions, expectations, motivations: Evolution of Canadian views on the EU. Australian and New Zealand Journal of European Studies 11(3): 45-62.
- Chaban N. and Elgström O. (2020) A Perceptual Approach to EU Public Diplomacy: Investigating Collaborative Diplomacy in EU-Ukraine Relations. The Hague Journal of Diplomacy 15(4).
- Knodt M. and Chaban N. (2020) New Opportunities for the EU-Canada Strategic Partnership. Australian and New Zealand Journal of European Studies 11(3): 3-17.
- Chaban N., Elgström O. and Knodt M. (2019) Perceptions of EU mediation and mediation effectiveness: Comparing perspectives from Ukraine and the EU'. Cooperation and Conflict 54(4): 506-523. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0010836718823813.