Luke Wood's broader research interests and outcomes are motivated by the expanding practices and roles of graphic design in the early 21st century.
Luke is currently (2019) developing primary research for a touring exhibition of NZ-made lathe-cut records for Objectspace (Auckland, October 2019) and The Dowse Art Museum (Wellington, February 2020). This work comes from an interest in the potential for the distribution of music/sound via physical formats in a pervasively digital future. Related to this work, Luke has recently set up the 'art school record label', Ilam Press Records; a subsidiary of the Ilam Press, an inhouse publishing workshop at the School of Fine Arts which Luke runs in collaboration with colleague Aaron Beehre.
As an educator Luke has long been interested in developing ideologies, pedagogies, and propositions for graphic design education. Luke has recently co-edited a book on this subject with Brad Haylock (RMIT), featuring contributions from leading international designers, teachers and academics, to be published by Occasional Papers (London) in late 2019.
Since 2011 Luke – in collaboration with Stuart Geddes (Melbourne) – has edited, designed, printed, and published the award winning publication 'Head Full of Snakes', which explores attitudes towards individual agency, manual labor, and maintenance through the guise of a b-grade motorcycle fanzine. Issue #4 of 'Head Full of Snakes' was released in May 2016.
From 2006–2012 Luke – in collaboration with Jonty Valentine – edited and produced 'The National Grid'; an award winning NZ-based graphic design journal which was distributed internationally and received significant funding from Creative New Zealand.
- Wood L. and Russell B. (2019) Visceral Realists (VHF146). Designer and artist/musician: Commissioned by VHF Records (USA) [VHF Records (USA) commercial release of album by Luke Wood and Bruce Russell. Edition of 500 x 12-inch pressed vinyl records with bespoke letterpress printed slip-cases and risograph printed liner notes.].
- Wood L. (2017) Katabatic Wind, 'Katabatic Din'. Designer: Commissioned by Katabatic Wind, Hamish Thorpe [Limited edition 12" lathe-cut record, risographed cover and liner notes. Edition of 20. Published by Ilam Press Records. Launched with live performance at Hell Fire Club, Lyttelton, NZ. 15 June 2017. (Lathe-cuts by Peter King.)].
- Wood L. (2017) The Opawa 45s, 'Sleepwalk '17'. Designer: Commissioned by Ilam Press Records [Limited edition 7" lathe-cut record, risographed cover and liner notes. Edition of 30. Published by Ilam Press Records. 15 June 2017. (Lathe-cuts by Peter King.)].
- Wood L. (2017) Visceral Realists (Bruce Russell and Luke Wood). Designer: Commissioned by Make Something (Design exhibition collective, Auckland) [Limited edition 12" lathe-cut vinyl record with printed and embossed gatefold cover and liner notes. Edition of 20. Published by Ilam Press Records, launched at Strangehaven, Auckland, 01 Dec 2017. (Lathe-cuts by Small Run Records, Melbourne.)].
- Wood L. and Geddes S. (2016) Head Full of Snakes (Issue #4). Editor, Designer, Printer, Publisher: [Serial publication, 112pp A4 magazine format, edition of 750 copies distributed internationally (ISSN 2463-3070). This issue featuring experimental 3-colour (RYB) risograph printing. Printed at the Ilam Press, published by Ilam Press (Christchurch, N].