From Sacramento, California, Justin DeHart is a GRAMMY-nominated performer of contemporary musical styles from classical to pop, and from world to electronic. Justin is a current member of Los Angeles Percussion Quartet (LAPQ) and his musical resume includes performances with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, pipa master Wu Man, and various pop legends, including Cheap Trick. His debut solo album entitled Strange Paths on Innova Recordings (music by Brian Ferneyhough, Iannis Xenakis, Michael Gordon and Stuart Saunders Smith) was lauded as “mesmerizing” by Percussive Notes for his “palette of sounds and intricate weaving of lines.” Justin was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship for music studies in India and his talents have been featured at music concerts around the globe.
Justin holds a Bachelor of Music degree from CSU Sacramento, a Master of Fine Arts degree from the California Institute of the Arts, and a Doctor of Musical Arts degree from UC San Diego. He has over 100 solo, chamber and contemporary music recordings on MCA, Sony, Mode, Innova, Sono Luminus, Albany, Bridge, New World, HatHut, Populist, Sub Pop, and Skunk Records. A Senior Lecturer in Music at the University of Canterbury, in Christchurch, New Zealand, Justin is a Yamaha Performing Artist and an endorser of Black Swamp Percussion, REMO, Sabian, and Innovative Percussion Inc.
- DeHart JW. (2021) Auckland Percussion Experience - Invited to present a one hour presentation on Percussion in World Music. .
- DeHart JW. (2021) 2021 Auckland Percussion Experience with Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra Orchestral Summer School - Town Hall, Auckland, NZ.. Director: [Public Performance].
- DeHart JW. (2021) Alison Isadora: New Music Central Concert Series - Christchurch, NZ. Performer: [Public Performance].
- DeHart JW. (2021) ALU - Alu's Not Dead. Performer, recording engineer for drums: [Digital Music Single].
- DeHart JW. (2021) Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial in Concert, Kiri Te Kanawa Theatre, Aotea Centre, Auckland, NZ.. Section Percussionist: [Public Performance].