Amokapua Pākākano |
Assistant Vice-Chancellor Māori, Pacific & Equity
Dr Darryn Russell
He pāhihi ahau o te riu o Araiteuru.
Ko taku whare kura, ko Tamatea.
Ko taku kao whenua ko Horopapera ki Te Rauone, tae atu ki Pipikaretu.
Dr Russell was appointed Amokapua Pākākano | Assistant Vice-Chancellor Māori, Pacific & Equity in April 2011. He previously was the Director, Māori Development at the University of Otago.
He is Ngāi Tahu, and a member of Ōtākou Rūnanga. His experience includes directorships on commercial, non-commercial, philanthropic and community organisations. Dr Russell has also held ministerial appointments to national committees.
Brief curriculum vitae
Dr Russell started his working life with the Inland Revenue Department, through the then Department of Māori Affairs and was later appointed the Māori Community Officer with the department. He then took up a position with Department of Internal Affairs and just prior to settlement with the Crown, accepted a regional leadership and development position with Ngāi Tahu.
Dr Russell has always had a focus on Ngāi Tahu and rūnanga development. With this background, he held the position of Director, Māori Development at the University of Otago for several years. Dr Russell's current position as Amokapua Pākākano | Assistant Vice-Chancellor Māori, Pacific & Equity has the responsibility for developing and maintaining university Treaty based relationships with iwi and Māori providers, people of the Pacific while also coordinating and implementing strategy development for Māori, Pacific and a focus of equity, diversity and inclusiveness at Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury.
The role of the Amokapua Pākākano | Assistant Vice-Chancellor Māori, Pacific & Equity
The role of the Amokapua Pākākano | Assistant Vice-Chancellor Māori, Pacific and Equity is to help the university in general and in particular support a learning environment which recognises and promotes Aotearoa New Zealand’s unique bicultural society.
Ko tā te Amokapua Pākākano mahi ko te ārahi i Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha whānui, otirā me matua tautoko i te taiao ako hai whakatairanga, hai whakamana hoki te hāpori tikanga rua o Aotearoa nei.
The Amokapua Pākāno has the responsibility for:
- Line management of Te Waka Pākākano | Office of the Assistant Vice-Chancellor Māori, Pacific and Equity
- Advisory Board to the AVC Māori, Pacific and Equity and Kā Waimaero | Ngāi Tahu Research Centre.
- Implementing the Rautaki Whakawhanake Kaupapa Māori | Strategy for Māori Development
- UC's Bicultural Competence and Confidence Framework paper and Appendix.
- Oversight of Māori research at UC.
- Links with key strategic partners: Kā Waimaero | Ngāi Tahu Research Centre and Aotahi School of Māori and Indigenous Development.
- Māori Academic Moderation Komiti.
- Māori names at UC.
- Te Ohu Reo request form.
- UC’s relationship with mana whenua.
- UC’s relationship with Ngāi Tahu.
- Maintaining and advancing the University’s profile with iwi organisations.
- Maintaining and advancing the University’s profile with the wider Māori and Pacific community.