Sport Coaching graduates are motivated and passionate leaders who inspire others towards success in sport, athletic development, and physical and mental health.
- Topics ranging in sport and anatomy science, coaching practice, and culture with a focus on your sports of interest.
- Practical learning, work experience opportunities, plus a 120-hour internship in your final year.
- Choose from a Certificate in Sport Coaching or a Bachelor of Sport Coaching that includes multiple sporting majors and minor subject options.
If you already have a university degree you can consider the Graduate Certificate in Sport Coaching.
Bachelor of Sport Coaching
See the Bachelor of Sport Coaching for the compulsory courses in the degree.
You will complete core Sport Coaching courses throughout the three years of the degree, as well as courses towards a major, a major and minor, or a double major.
Major and minor subject options include:
- Adventure Sport and Environment
- Performance Analysis
- Physical Education
- Sport Science
- Sports Leadership and Management
- Strength and Conditioning with Nutrition (includes separate minors in Strength and Conditioning, and Nutrition)
Graduates can seek postgraduate opportunities in sport and education or health-related areas of study. With careful course selection, Sport Coaching graduates are also eligible to apply for entry to a postgraduate programme to teach physical education in secondary schools, or become a primary school teacher.
This study develops transferable skills in motivation and leadership, teaching, and wellbeing knowledge that would work well in sporting, educational, and health roles.
Some career pathways could include:
- Sports coach
- Personal trainer
- Outdoor and recreational sports guide
- Policy and health advisor.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Sport Coaching.
Level 3, Rehua building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Sport Coaching
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
With a mix of practical and theory, the Adventure Sport and Environment minor appeals to students with an interest in adventure and exploring Aotearoa.In this ...
Strength and Conditioning with Nutrition will teach you to train and motivate people to meet performance and body composition goals.You will be learning how to ...