What is a UC Free Table?
A Free Table is typically in an area where there is high foot traffic. Surplus items are placed on these tables for students and staff to repurpose or recycle them. Items are usually sourced from different offices in that building, or staff and students occasionally place their own items on them as well. Free Tables are a great way of keeping perfectly usable items out of the landfill, and helping each other out by giving things away. Students usually clear items off Free Tables very quickly.
Why are Free Tables good for UC?
- Builds good relationships between staff and students.
- Ongoing decanting of buildings over the course of remediation of earthquake damage means that offices are regularly cleaned out of surplus materials. Free Tables recycle/repurpose usable items and keep them out of landfill, which in turn reduces waste management costs incurred by UC.
- Encourages a recycle/re-use culture across the university in a way that is visible and practical.
Things that can be recycled/repurposed on Free Tables
The items placed on a Free Table is up to UC staff or student discretion. These could include:
- Office stationary items that are no longer required by UC staff/students
- Books and textbooks
- Small household items, homewares and crockery
- Non-perishable food items
- Clothing (clean and in good condition).
Where are UC Free Tables located? (2021)
Please note - due to the ongoing remediation of buildings on campus, the list below may be subject to change at short notice.