Where Can I Live?

Sprawling along the Canterbury plains and up into the rolling Port Hills, Christchurch is filled with quiet, safe suburbs which provide great options for places to live. Geographical preferences provide individual inclinations on the best places to live in Christchurch. Close to the University in Riccarton or Ilam; near the centre of town and Hagley Park in Merivale, Fendalton or Inner City living; close to the Port Hills in Cashmere or St Martins or by the beach in Sumner or Waimairi Beach. Lifestyle options are available too within 30 minutes of the University in Ohoka, Tai Tapu or West Melton.

So many options and choices, which can make for a challenging time when you are looking to buy or rent.

In New Zealand residential tenancies are either fixed term, usually for a year, or periodic tenancies where notice to leave needs to be given by the landlord or the tenant.

It should be noted that rental properties are often unfurnished and may not have central heating or double glazing. They are managed either privately by the landlords themselves or through rental agencies like Harcourts, Ray White, First National and Braziers. The best place to look for rentals is on Trade Me Property. This site will give you an excellent overview of rents and the types of property available in the suburbs you are considering. There is a high demand for good places so it pays to make contact quickly. Live and Work New Zealand provides general information about finding rental accommodation, tenancy agreements and costs.

Tenancy Services

Tenancy.govt.nz provides advice and guidance about all aspects of rental tenancies in New Zealand. It is a good place to find information and forms regarding residential property agreements, market rental rates and bond lodgments.

As in every country, rents depend on the quality, location and size of the property. Market rents for properties vary widely between suburbs however on average you would be looking to pay between $350 - $600pw depending on the type of property you are looking at; a flat, apartment, unit or house, the number of bedrooms and of course the area. It may be useful for you to look up market rents on this website.

Recent law changes mean that you must be a NZ resident or citizen to purchase a house in New Zealand. The prominent real estate agencies in Christchurch are Harcourts, Ray White Bayleys and Mike Pero. All agencies have their own websites however, they also advertise on Trade Me and RealEstate.co.nz.

Live and Work New Zealand provides useful information if you are considering buying a property in New Zealand.

Useful Property Websites:

If you have school age children and are looking to rent or buy you will need to consider what school your children will attend in order to rent or buy in that school zone. Most schools in Christchurch are zoned. That is, if you live in the zone, your child is guaranteed a place in the school. If you are not ‘in zone’ you can still apply but there is no guarantee your child will be accepted.

Find School Zones

University of Canterbury may offer accommodation assistance under its staff relocation policy for eligible appointees relocating to Christchurch. 

Please email us at workatuc@canterbury.ac.nz for more information.

Christchurch Map

Christchurch Map