I aim to understand how games as powerful tools to solve complex problems have to be designed in relation to related realities.
With her research, Heide aims to understand how applied immersive games , games that have a specific purpose such as training and learning, and use immersive technologies such as virtual or augmented reality for this, have to be designed and used in order to achieve the intended effect. Heide investigates how realistic in terms of representation, social interaction, and experience these games have to be to be valid and engaging games. She applies games to domains such as education, logistics, safety and security, and disaster management. Heide works together with local and international academics, as well as with organizations and game developers to answer her research questions, and to support organizations with game-based solutions on the interplay with the games industry.
- Freese M., Lukosch H., Wegener J. and König A. (2020) Serious games as research instruments – do’s and don’ts from a cross-case-analysis in transportation. European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research 20(4): 103-126. http://dx.doi.org/10.18757/ejtir.2020.20.4.4205.
- Lukosch H. (2020) Simulated disaster: How games prepare us for emergencies and crises. Australian Journal of Emergency Management 35(3): 10-10.
- Roukouni A., Lukosch H., Verbraeck A. and Zuidwijk R. (2020) Let the game begin: Enhancing sustainable collaboration among actors in innovation ecosystems in a playful way. Sustainability (Switzerland) 12(20): 1-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/su12208494.
- van Haaften MA., Lefter I., Lukosch H., van Kooten O. and Brazier F. (2020) Do Gaming Simulations Substantiate That We Know More Than We Can Tell? Simulation and Gaming http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1046878120927048.
- Agusdinata DB. and Lukosch H. (2019) Supporting Interventions to Reduce Household Greenhouse Gas Emissions: A Transdisciplinary Role-Playing Game Development. Simulation and Gaming 50(3): 359-376. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1046878119848135.