Investigating an Incident
Incident investigations are undertaken by:
- Department Safety Officers
- Head of Departments
- with assistance from the Health and Safety team
Why do we investigate an incident?
- To identify and analyse the contributing factors
- To develop preventative measures by eliminating or better controlling the contributing factors
- To review the contributing factors from a legal, compliance, and best practice perspective, and do something about them
Full investigations are carried out if any serious harm injury or fatality occur, or any incdient had the potential to cause serious harm or fatality. The University may also be requested by a statutory authority, such as WorkSafe, to conduct an investigation.
Responsibilities and the approach to investigations is set out in Protocol: Event Investigation