Social Action, Community and Global Development
Help solve some of the major issues we are facing globally with studies on environmental, social, and political change.
Learn how to create campaigns that deal with problems caused by the ways we interact with the environment, from the hunger crisis to global poverty, renewable energy to pollution, city development to climate change, and many more.
- Develop real social movements and awareness projects through an internship.
- Study a wide range of optional courses from sociology and psychology, politics, international relations, media, geography, environmental studies, community development, and more.
- Customisable major so you can follow your interests on global or local social issues, communities, and environmental problems.
Social Action, Community and Global Development major
For the major in the Bachelor of Social and Environmental Sustainability, complete the following courses:
- One course chosen from these global-focused options
- One course chosen from these local-focused options
Awareness of global issues, and skills in project management, leadership, communication, and critical analysis will equip you to make real and meaningful changes to our environmental and human systems, and empower others.
Some career pathways could include:
- Non-profit sector
- Human services
- Humanitarian aid programmes.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
Level 1, Elsie Locke Building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Toi Tangata | Faculty of Arts
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Social Action, Community and Global Development
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Are you interested in making a difference to the world around you? Does the future of Aotearoa New Zealand’s democracy interest you? Do news about politics ...