Build your creativity and entrepreneurial skills by coming up with new products that help make life better for home, business, and industry.
You could design and develop appliances, cosmetics, games, apps, foods, or even solutions for wider issues like healthcare, energy, and agriculture.
UC offers the Bachelor of Product Design — the only university degree of its kind in Te Waipounamu South Island.
- A combination of technical and business skills to develop and commercialise your product ideas.
- Choose from three majors to focus your skills on particular industry — Applied Immersive Game Design, Chemical Formulation Design, Industrial Product Design.
- Interactive and hands-on learning through design suites, testing labs, and dedicated technologies like 3D printing and like augmented and virtual reality.
- Create and test your own product creations right from the first year of study.
Bachelor of Product Design
UC offers a Bachelor of Product Design, which offers hands-on project work designing and developing prototype products for market.
As well as core courses in product design, engineering, science, and business, you will also study towards one of the following majors:
At each year of the degree, you will be completing individual and team project work designing, building, and testing your product ideas.
Through your degree, you will learn to consider the needs of people you are designing for, with skills in prototyping design, planning, testing, commercialising, and communication of new ideas. As a result, there are many different ways to go with this degree.
Some career pathways could include:
- Production management
- Research and Development (R&D)
- Marketing and advertising
- Design consulting.
Find out more about what you can do with a degree in Product Design.
Len Lye building – see campus maps
Te Kaupeka Pūhanga | Faculty of Engineering
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Browse related subjects to Product Design
Choose an area that you are interested in and learn how UC's extensive range of study options can let you study what you want to.
Studying Industrial Product Design will teach you how to design and deliver suitable products that solve problems and generate consumer interest. Power tools, ...