How to apply

You can apply for Special Consideration on the grounds of a missed assessment, test or exam, or for impaired performance.

If you are seeking an extension request please contact your Course Co-ordinator or Academic Administrator in the first instance. A Special Consideration should not be submitted to request an extension.

For assessment items less than 10% please contact your Course Coordinator for advice.

Before proceeding with an application, you must read this information: 

It is also recommended that you read:

Application Forms

Please click on and fill out the appropriate form below.

For special consideration for assessment, please note you can now submit multiple assessment items on one application.  Please click the ‘Add new row’ link to add multiple assessment items.

For special consideration for late discontinuation, you can list a number of courses on one application.


You can start an application for special consideration before obtaining all of the supporting evidence.  If you submit an application all supporting evidence must be submitted within 10 working days.

Medical certificates

If your application is based on medical grounds, it should be supported with medical evidence from a medical practioner.   Ideally you should submit a UC Medical Certificate. Where possible, you should ensure that you see your medical practitioner within a reasonable timeframe for them to be able to make a diagnosis, and that they are provided with sufficient information regarding the timing of your assessments/exams (as applicable) to enable the medical practioner to provide beneficial supporting documentation.

Other accepted evidence

If you are submitting an application which is related to a bereavement, appropriate evidence is a death notice from a newspaper or a letter from a medical practioner, funeral director, minister of religion, religious leader, kaumatua or the police.  Please note that where the notice or letter does not indicate the relationship with the deceased to the student, you should include as evidence a letter stating the relationship.

If you are not able to provide independent evidence for your circumstances, you must complete a statutory declaration in front of a Justice of the Peace and attach this to your application: Statutory Declaration

Need more information?

Melanie Coulter

Special Considerations Coordinator
Matariki Level 2, Nth
Internal Phone: 95024