2000 University of Canterbury students celebrate graduation
12 December 2022
It’s Graduation time in Ōtautahi Christchurch with 2000 University of Canterbury graduates celebrating successfully completing their studies this week in full regalia.
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury (UC) graduates will celebrate achieving their degrees and qualifications at five formal graduation celebrations held over three days, 13-15 December.
The large-scale graduation celebrations will be held in the Christchurch Arena to enable students to cross the stage and celebrate their achievements with thousands of their whānau and loved ones from near and far in attendance.
With Christchurch Arena lit up red in their honour, UC graduates are set to celebrate in style. Each of the five ceremonies will also be livestreamed on the UC Facebook page for anyone who wants to watch the celebrations.
These 2000 graduates join a 140,000-strong whānau of engaged and empowered UC alumni affecting change across the globe. Those celebrating their graduation this month include more than 90 PhD and doctoral graduates.
Graduation guest speakers at the five celebrations include: UCSA President Pierce Crowley LLB; digital equity champion, co-founder/CEO of Fibre Fale Julia Arnott-Neenee BA BCom; Head of Strategy and Finance at Leaft Chris Simcock BCom(Hons); entrepreneur founder/CEO of Kōrure Ron Park BCom; and professional civil engineer Dr Sina Cotter Tait BE(Hons), MBA(Dist), PhD. Dr Cotter Tait generously sponsors a scholarship at UC for Māori and Pasifika engineering students who aspire to make a difference in the world.
As the University of Canterbury prepares to celebrate its sesquicentenary in 2023, we know the contribution our students make to Ōtautahi Christchurch and beyond as they forge ahead with their lives and careers will be significant.
E ngā kaimahi me ngā tauira o Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha, nāia te whakamānawa ki a koutou katoa. Congratulations and well done to all our graduates celebrating in December.
December 2023 Graduation celebration dates
Tuesday 13 December
- 10am – The Faculty of Education and the Faculty of Health
- 2pm – The Faculty of Arts
Wednesday 14 December
- 2pm – UC Business School
Thursday 15 December
- 10am – The Faculty of Science
- 2pm – The Faculty of Engineering and the Faculty of Law
Read about some of our newest graduates:
- UC PhD graduate a voice for Polynesian rugby league players
- Twin graduates driven to serve community through active transport
- UC engineer aspires to help solve Pacific problems
- New UC grad helping to give youth a voice in health
- Adult study leads to fresh career and a new startup
- UC graduate a passionate voice for tauira Māori
- Exceptional product design boosts innovation in telehealth
- Celebrating UC excellence in early childhood education
- Double degree paves way to law career
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph: (03) 369 3631 or 027 503 0168
What to read next:
On The Conversation, Associate Professor Laura Revell, Dr Michele Bannister and Master's student Tyler Brown discuss the impacts of the rapidly ...
University of Canterbury (UC) researchers have summarised the threats that future rocket launches would pose to Earth’s protective ozone layer, in a ...