Credit from a NZ tertiary institution

You can apply to have your existing credits from a New Zealand tertiary institution counted towards your UC qualification.

students law


Only study completed in the last five years will normally be considered for credit transfer, and must be from a qualification that has not been conferred. Your previous study must be at NZQF Level 5 or higher from a New Zealand university or tertiary institute. For more information see the Credit Recognition and Transfer Regulations.

You will need a UC Student ID number for your application to be considered, so will need to either be a UC student or have made an Application to Enrol in myUC

Course point value

Most universities in NZ have a 360 point undergraduate degree structure with 15 point courses at all levels equating to 0.125 EFTS. This includes the University of Canterbury (UC), The University of Auckland, Auckland University of Technology, Victoria University of Wellington, University of Waikato, Massey University, and Lincoln University. Usually 1 point in an undergraduate degree at each of these universities is of equivalent value, i.e. 1 point at UC = 1 point at Waikato. The exception to this is the University of Otago which offers 18 point courses with a value of 0.15 EFTS. 

How to apply for a transfer of credit from a NZ tertiary institute

Step 1. Apply to Enrol in myUC

Your application to enrol needs to be processed before you can apply to transfer your credit.
Submit an Application to Enrol through myUC

Step 2. Complete the form

Complete the Transfer of Credit - Domestic form.

Step 3. Gather your supporting documents

You also need to supply your academic transcript as evidence that you completed the courses and qualifications you want to transfer credit from.

Academic transcripts are the documents listing the courses you have taken and the grades or marks received. UC requires your original institution-issued documents or a certified true copy. Electronic copies can be used for assessment, however the original documents are still needed before credit is granted.

If you haven’t completed the course you’re seeking UC credit for, you can still submit your application but credits cannot be granted until final transcripts have been received and validated by UC.

Step 4. Send in your application and supporting documents

Send your completed form and supporting documents to the address for the relevant Faculty or School listed below.

Step 5. Assessment and notification of application outcomes

Credit transfers are not automatic. Applications are reviewed individually on a case-by-case basis by the Faculty responsible for the UC qualification to which you are applying to transfer credit. You will be notified of the application results.

If your application is not successful, you have the option to appeal the decision. Information on the appeals process will be provided with the outcome of your application.

See the Credit Recognition and Transfer Regulations for more information. 

If you have any questions about credit transfer

chat loading...