Student Visas

You will need a valid student visa if you are studying in New Zealand as an international student

NEWS: student visa applications now made on Immigration New Zealand website

Immigration New Zealand has recently changed the way students can apply for student visas. This means that from 15 December, students can no longer apply through UC (Provider Direct) for their visas and must instead apply on the Immigration New Zealand website.

Applying for your student visa

All international students must apply for their student visa on the Immigration New Zealand website. You are recommended to apply as soon as possible to avoid delays in completing your enrolment. You will need a verified RealMe account and a number of documents. 

A number of helpful guides and checklists are available on the Immigration New Zealand website:

You can apply for your student visa from the comfort of your own home, or book a device to use on campus at Te Pātaka (Puaka-James Hight), where UC staff will be available to answer any questions you have about the process. 

As a guide, you’ll usually need to provide the following documents with your student visa application:

  • An Offer of Place from UC for 2022 study
  • Evidence that you have enough money to pay your tuition fees
  • Your passport and acceptable passport-style photos
  • Proof of funds - $15,000 per year, to cover your living expenses
  • A copy of your air ticket home, or proof that you have enough money to buy one
  • An accommodation guarantee, if you’re under 18
  • Your visa application fee
  • You may also be asked to provide a medical certificate and chest x-ray, and a police certificate

International Enrolment for on-campus students

Check our step-by-step guide on how to complete your enrolment as an international student on campus. 

If you have any questions about applying for a student visa

chat loading...