Services and resources
The School of Forestry works with students, industry and the public to promote education, awareness and advances in our field. Find out about on-campus services, and resources provided by the School.
Our staff are always happy to answer your questions and can direct you to the many services available at UC to help with your academic achievement and physical and mental well-being. Follow the links below for more information about the services available on campus.
The Forestry Students' Society (FORSOC) is active on campus, organising social and networking events.
- Join us on Facebook
- See all UCSA clubs
The School of Forestry provides a range of services to the industry including
- Professional development and
- Continuing education.
Please contact either the Head of Department or the particular staff members who might best provide the services you require.
Anyone who wishes to advertise an employment opportunity to current students should contact the School Coordinator.
- Initial growth model for Pinus radiata D.Don growing in the Central North Island of NZ. Version 2 includes representations of seedling quality. (Win 95 or higher, self-extracting archive)
- Species Choice Software for New Zealand. Joint project sponsored by NZ Farm Forestry Assn. and funded by NZ Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry. (web-based program)
- Model for Pinus radiata D.Don growing in the Central North Island of NZ (web-based program)
- Model for Pinus radiata D.Don growing in Canterbury, NZ (web-based program)
- Model for Douglas-fir growing in the Central North Island of NZ (web-based program)
- Model for Douglas-fir growing in the South Island of NZ (web-based program)
- Model for Cupressus lusitanica (Mill.) growing in Kenya (web-based program)
- Model for Pinus patula (Schlect & Cham.) growing in Kenya (web-based program)
- Model for Eucalyptus grandis growing in Uruguay (web-based program)
- Risk of wilding spread (web-based program)
- Tree height calculator (web-based program)
- Thumb basal area factor calculator (web-based program)
- NPV Spreadsheets (Self-extracting archive)
- Eucalyptus globoidea growing in New Zealand (web-based program)
- The New Zealand Institute of Forestry
- NZ Forestry (a good source of information and contacts in the
New Zealand Forest Industry)
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Manaaki Whenua - Landcare Research
- Wood Technology Research Centre
- Stackyards Agrilinks (Based in the UK, this site is a guide to anything agricultural on the web - all that's informative, entertaining, educational, provocative, charming, annoying or just plan daft - worldwide)
- Department of Survey and Land Information
- New Zealand internet search engine
- Forest Industries Training
- Conservation Jobs
- New Zealand Plant Finder (via Facebook)
- Nelson Forests
- Nelson Pine Industries Ltd
- Wenita Forest Products Ltd
- Plenty of Forestry Jobs™
- CareerJet (link to vacancies within New Zealand - there is a dedicated agriculture, forestry and farming page).
- International Scholarships (undergraduate, postgraduate, post-doc, research)
- Jobted (NZ-based forestry jobs)
World-wide there are many organisations active in Forest Engineering. The list below has links to active research organisations in the field: