MGMT228 Chinese Business Practices and Culture Study Tour
The MGMT228 Chinese Business Practices and Culture study tour provides students with the opportunity to participate in the Second Language Promotion Programme (SLPP) at Zhejiang Gongshang University, one of UC’s partners in Hangzhou, China. For a period of three weeks students take courses on Chinese business practices and culture, and interact on a daily basis with Chinese students and businesses. Upon completion of the SLPP programme the tour proceeds to Shanghai where we visit a number of multinational (mostly Kiwi) companies with operations in China.
The study tour is open to anyone who has completed a year of study at UC and at least two commerce papers.
The course starts mid-November. This course is limited entry and the maximum enrolment is 30.
What our students say about their study tour experiences
The MGMT228 Study Tour to China is a much anticipated, annual event that attracts students from all disciplines and even students from other tertiary institutions. Visits to New Zealand companies operating in China provide you with an insight into the opportunities and challenges facing international organisations. Learning about another country's business practices and meeting the locals first-hand enriches your cultural experiences and is a great addition to your CV. Plus you can pick up some Mandarin language phrases and make new friends along the way.
Watch our MGMT228 YouTube video clip featuring BCom student Luke Gillespie on the 2014 study tour to China and check out this stunning video clip produced by Thomas Barker of his 2015 tour and travel experiences
I want to know more. What do I do next?
If you have an interest in China-New Zealand business relations and are keen to find out a bit more about MGMT228, talk to the course coordinator for an overview of the course and discuss funding options and scholarships that might be available. Also check out the MGMT228 Presentation 2019 (PDF, 4 MB) from the May Information Evening.
The course starts on Monday 11 November 2019 and runs through to mid-December 2019. Applications for the 2019 MGMT228 course will start soon.
- Read the MGMT228 Brochure 2019
- Check out the MGMT228 Presentation 2019 (PDF, 4 MB)
- Check out Global China Connection for information on business in China.
- See the course information system for programme details.
- MGMT228 is a 200-level management paper, however, you do not have to be a BCom student to take the paper. The course is open to all students at UC provided you meet the entry requirements. Prerequisite requirements for the course are 120 points completed at UC of which 30 points must be from Commerce courses (any two MGMT, ACCT, ECON, FINC, INFO, BSNS, or MKTG papers).
- MGMT228 is a limited entry course with only 30 places available for 2018.
Contact course coordinator Russell Wordsworth for more information.