ENME202-22S1 (C) Semester One 2022

Stress, Strain and Deformation in Machine Elements

15 points

Details:
Start Date: Monday, 21 February 2022
End Date: Sunday, 26 June 2022
Withdrawal Dates
Last Day to withdraw from this course:
  • Without financial penalty (full fee refund): Sunday, 6 March 2022
  • Without academic penalty (including no fee refund): Sunday, 15 May 2022

Description

Axial, torsional, transverse and bending loads; compound states of stress, principal stresses and strains; basic theories of failure for ductile and brittle materials; buckling including local buckling effects; basic energy methods; impact theory.

The primary objective of this course is to develop an understanding of stress and strain with an engineering application to common structural elements such as beams and bars.

The course will develop basic competency in the application of the methods of ‘mechanics of materials’ to problems in mechanical engineering.  The course serves as a foundation for subsequent, required courses (for Mechanical Engineers): ENME203 (Dynamics and Vibrations), ENME307 (Performance of Engineering Materials) and ENME302 (Computational and Applied Mechanical Analysis).

Prerequisites

Subject to the approval of the Dean of Engineering and Forestry

Timetable 2022

Students must attend one activity from each section.

Lecture A
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Monday 14:00 - 15:00 A1 Lecture Theatre
21 Feb - 10 Apr
2 May - 5 Jun
Lecture B
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Tuesday 14:00 - 15:00 A1 Lecture Theatre
21 Feb - 10 Apr
2 May - 5 Jun
Lecture C
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Thursday 14:00 - 15:00 A1 Lecture Theatre
21 Feb - 10 Apr
2 May - 5 Jun
Lecture D
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Wednesday 16:00 - 18:00 K1 Lecture Theatre
21 Feb - 10 Apr
2 May - 5 Jun
Tutorial A
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Friday 08:00 - 10:00 Eng Core 222 & 223 Drawing Office
21 Feb - 10 Apr
2 May - 5 Jun
02 Friday 10:00 - 12:00 Eng Core 222 & 223 Drawing Office
21 Feb - 10 Apr
2 May - 5 Jun
03 Friday 12:00 - 14:00 Eng Core 222 & 223 Drawing Office
21 Feb - 10 Apr
2 May - 5 Jun

Examination and Formal Tests

Test A
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Tuesday 18:00 - 19:00 Jack Erskine 031 Lecture Theatre
21 Mar - 27 Mar
02 Tuesday 18:00 - 19:00 Online Delivery
21 Mar - 27 Mar
Test B
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Wednesday 18:00 - 19:00 Jack Erskine 031 Lecture Theatre
2 May - 8 May
02 Wednesday 18:00 - 19:00 Online Delivery
2 May - 8 May
Test C
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Thursday 18:00 - 19:00 Rehua 101 Lectorial
23 May - 29 May
02 Thursday 18:00 - 19:00 Online Delivery
23 May - 29 May

Course Coordinator

Paul Docherty

Assessment

Assessment Due Date Percentage  Description
Test 1 22 Mar 2022 20% Or Option 2: 10%
Test 2 04 May 2022 20% Or Option 2: 10%
Test 3 26 May 2022 20% Or Option 2: 10%
Homework 10% Option 1 or 2: Homework worth 10%
Exam 30% Or Option 2: 60%


Option 1:
3 x Test Out of Hours (20% each); Homework (10% total); Final Exam (30%)

Option 2:
3 x Test Out of Hours (10% each); Homework (10% total); Final Exam (60%)

The assessment weighting that yields the highest grade for each student individually will be used automatically.  It is strongly suggested that you take option 1 - it is very difficult to make 50% from 60% of the marks!

Notes

For detailed course, policy, regulatory and integrity information, please refer to the UC web site, or see relevant Course or Department LEARN pages, (which are available to enrolled students).

Indicative Fees

Domestic fee $1,518.00

International fee $6,141.00

* All fees are inclusive of NZ GST or any equivalent overseas tax, and do not include any programme level discount or additional course-related expenses.

For further information see Mechanical Engineering .

All ENME202 Occurrences

  • ENME202-22S1 (C) Semester One 2022