Use the Tab and Up, Down arrow keys to select menu items.
Students will learn to apply evidence-based practice and the World Health Organization’s International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) to differentially diagnosing the presence, extent, and nature of aphasia; and to planning their assessment approach; establishing suitable goals for intervention; and constructing appropriate management plans when working with clients with aphasia across the continuum of care.
Whakamahuki/Course DescriptionThe overall goal of the course is to develop students’ ability to provide holistic evidence-based assessment and intervention for clients with aphasia, dementia, or traumatic brain injury and their whānau, across a continuum of care.More specifically, students will learn to apply evidence-based knowledge and the World Health Organization’s International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) to differentially diagnose the presence of language and other communication problems; plan their assessment approach; establish suitable goals for intervention; and construct appropriate management plans when working with clients with aphasia, dementia and traumatic brain injury. Students will also learn about culturally responsive approaches to supporting clients from a variety of cultural backgrounds including Māori and Pasifika clients.
Intended Hua Akoranga/Learning OutcomesIntended learning outcomes represent what you should know and/or be able to do as a result of active engagement in the learning process. Below is a table that represents the intended learning outcomes of this course, along with the associated learning method(s) and assessment task(s).Upon successful completion of the course, I will be able to:1. Formulate an assessment approach and discharge criteria for adults with acquired neurogenic communication disorders2. Analyse assessment results of adults with acquired communication disorders in the context of the IFC, EBP and Māori, Pasifika and multi-cultural knowledge3. Generate intervention goals and management plans that align with the values of the client and their whānau, underpinned by the ICF, EBP and Māori, Pasifika and multi-cultural knowledge4. Apply principles of health education to communicate information to clients, whānau and other health professionals5. Generate a critical appraisal of research related to management of adults with acquired neurogenic communication disorders that can be translated into clinical practiceI will learn this by:- Engaging in lectures- Participating in class activities- Completing required readings- Simucase/SimulationMy learning will be assessed through:- Simulation- Assignment- Midterm test- Final test
SPSC667. Entry subject to approval by the Head of School.
Students must attend one activity from each section.
Wātaka/TimetableRāhina/Monday 9:00am – 12:00pm Lecture theatre – E14Rāapa/Wednesday 11:00am – 12:00pm Lecture theatre – Ernest Rutherford 140
Course Pūkenga/Lecturer & Kairuruku Akoranga/Course CoordinatorLecturer & Course Coordinator: Kate Cook email@example.com
Aromatawai/Assessment InformationThe course assessments are listed below:Midterm test 20%Simulation 10%Assignment: Putting it all together 30%Final test 40%Midterm test (20%)A midterm test on the content from all the lectures of weeks 1-5 inclusive.Date: Monday during lecture time, week 7 (Duration: 50 minutes)Assignment: Simulation – Assessment (10%)Specific requirements and marking criteria will be posted on the Ako/Learn website and discussed in class. Due: Week 11 Thursday 10pmAssignment: Putting it all together – from Assessment to Treatment and all the EBP in between (30%) Specific requirements and marking criteria will be posted on the Ako/Learn website and discussed in class.Due: Week 12 Thursday 10pmFinal exam (40%)The examination will cover the course content from weeks 1-12 (Duration: 3 hours).Date: Will be announced end of term 1
Pukapuka Ako/Textbooks & ReadingsRecommended textbook: Papathanasiou, I., & Coppens, P. (2017). Aphasia and Related Neurogenic Communication Disorders, Second Edition. Burlington, MA, USA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.Copies of the required textbook have been placed in the High Demand Section in the Central Library.This course also includes a number of required readings. Links to those readings will be posted on the Ako/Learn site.
Domestic fee $1,127.00
International Postgraduate fees
* All fees are inclusive of NZ GST or any equivalent overseas tax, and do not include any programme level discount or additional course-related expenses.
This course will not be offered if fewer than 10 people apply to enrol.
Maximum enrolment is 30
For further information see
School of Psychology, Speech and Hearing on the
departments and faculties