Use the Tab and Up, Down arrow keys to select menu items.
This introductory course explores the Antarctic continent and the Southern Ocean. It aims to develop an understanding of the relevance of the polar regions to current issues such as climate change, environmental management, and living resource conservation and protection. The content of the course will be a combination of ANTA102 and ANTA103. The course will be delivered entirely online through LEARN, which will allow students flexibility as to when they view the lectures.
ANTA101 provides a first introduction into Antarctic Studies. This five-week course is structured into weekly blocks, each with associated lectures, feedback/help sessions, and assessment items. Each week is made up of 3 topical lectures (Human engagement - Weeks 1 and 2, Climate & Climate change – Week 3, Cryosphere & sea-level rise – Week 4, and Antarctic biology – Week 5) and 1 current issue. Students will learn about different Antarctica-related topics, including:- Antarctic governance- Exploring Antarctic history through Antarctic place names- Polar psychology- Antarctic tourism- Gender and Antarctica- Antarctic technology- Antarctic climate- Glaciology: Cryosphere, climate change and the sea-level- Antarctic biology
Learning outcomes:By course completion, students will be able to:Broadly understand the physical characteristics and ecological peculiarities of Antarctica;Understand and assess human interactions with Antarctica; Identify and analyse the political and legal framework for Antarctic governance;Question how Antarctic biodiversity and the physical environment is responding to change; andPresent critical arguments on potential future developments in Antarctica, or effecting Antarctica, including climate change.
INCO103, ANTA102 and ANTA103, ANTA112 and ANTA113
, Wolfgang Rack
, Ursula Rack
, Regina Eisert
and Rob Lindeman
Assessment:Assessment PercentageOnline quizzes 50%Essay 25%Discussion forum 25%Each week, students will complete online multiple-choice quizzes corresponding to that week’s lectures (overall worth 50%).Students will have a choice of three topics for their essay assessment (worth 25%). Details will be provided in the course outline at the beginning of the course.The online discussion forum (worth 25%) will happen in Week 2 – details for this will be provided at the beginning of the course.
Liggett, Daniela. et al;
Exploring the Last Continent : An Introduction to Antarctica;
1st ed. 2015;
Springer International Publishing : Imprint : Springer, 2015.
Domestic fee $865.00
International fee $3,788.00
* Fees include New Zealand GST and do not include any programme level discount or additional course related expenses.
For further information see
School of Earth and Environment on the department and colleges page.