Transcripts and official letters

Student Records can provide you with your official academic transcript, write letters confirming details of your qualifications from UC, and complete qualification verifications for employment agencies and prospective employers.

An official academic transcript is a complete record of your courses and results for your whole University career at UC.

The official transcript is different from your internal transcript. It will not show:

  • Notes on your record such as Dean’s resolutions
  • Courses from which you formally withdrew
  • GPA calculations (if you need a document with your GPA please see below)

The official transcript will show:

  • Your Student ID number
  • The reason you were granted admission to UC
  • Qualifications you have completed/been awarded
  • All courses and grades achieved including failing grades for courses that you did not attend but did not formally withdraw from
  • Scholarships you have been awarded via the University Scholarships Office (it will not show scholarships administered by departments)
  • Credits transferred from another institution*

*This will show a summary of the points you have been granted towards your qualification at UC. Some professional organisations/prospective employers may also require you to provide an official transcript from the “source” institution of the credit.

A letter of eligibility to graduate is only available after you have met the requirements for a qualification and before the qualification has been awarded. This letter cannot be written until your final grades have been officially released.

A Letter of Eligibility to Graduate states:

  • That you are eligible to graduate
  • When you completed the requirements of your qualification(s)
  • The majors and endorsements (if applicable)

A letter of conferment of degree is available only after a qualification has been awarded.

A Letter of Conferment of Degree states:

  • When you completed the requirements of your qualification(s)
  • The majors and endorsements (if applicable)
  • The date(s) of the conferment of the degree(s)/diplomas

Further information about graduation.

UC does not have a formal class ranking system; however; some departments may be able to provide your ranking within some courses/programmes. You should contact the appropriate department administrators in the first instance.

The GPA is based on an average which is calculated by multiplying a grade’s numerical value by the points value for the course, adding these results together for all courses to come to the Grade Point Total which is then divided by the total number points enrolled in.

This calculation is intended for internal purposes for the University. The University can, however, provide a letter which states your GPA and how this is calculated. To request a letter, email

A degree, diploma or certificate awarded by the University is a legal document and only one original can be in existence at a time. We cannot provide a copy of your degree certificate.

If you have a query about a replacement degree certificate, please email If you are eligible for a replacement, there will be a fee of $95.

The conferment of degrees is a matter of public record and degrees conferred by the University of Canterbury between 1980 and the present, and by the Christchurch College of Education between 1997 and 2006, can be verified in our online Graduate Search.

Requests for information beyond what is accessible in the Graduate Search must be made in writing to and be accompanied by written authorisation from the graduate/student.

We will not provide additional information over the phone.

**Please note; the University of Canterbury is not affiliated with Canterbury University, UK or Taktaz, Iran.

Students who have passed courses enrolled against a Certificate of Proficiency that have not been, and will not subsequently be credited towards a formal qualification of any University, may receive a certificate on application to The certificate lists the course codes and titles of courses successfully completed. It does not list grades achieved or failed courses.

If you have any debt owing to the University, we will not be able to provide any of the above documents. You should contact Financial Services as soon as possible to clear the debt and then contact Student Records ( to proceed with your order.

The University adheres to the Privacy Act 1993 and will request written confirmation from any current or former student before allowing another party to act on the student/former student’s behalf in respect of their academic record or release information contained therein.

Order your Academic Transcript