Postgraduate Certificate in Education
The Postgraduate Certificate in Education is designed to give teachers, counsellors and other educational professionals the opportunity to improve their professional practice and examine critically significant issues in education.
Postgraduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard.
You are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
Specific entry requirements
Candidates must be approved as a candidate for the PGCertEd by the Dean of Education and Health Sciences, and have one of the following:
- qualified for any appropriate degree in New Zealand with two 300-level courses in Education, or
- qualified for any appropriate degree in New Zealand and have either completed a minimum one-year teacher training course or have experience as a teacher, educator or counsellor, or
- been admitted Admission Ad Eundem Statum.
The relevance and standard of undergraduate studies and any subsequent professional work experience are the main criteria of approval.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The course of study for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education comprises courses equivalent to 60 points listed in the Schedule to the Master of Education.
The certificate takes six months of full-time study to complete or up to two years part-time depending on course selection.
Postgraduate study can bring many career benefits eg, specialist skills and enhanced knowledge, entry into specific occupations, higher starting salary/progression rates, research capability/achievement and evidence of high academic attainment/self-discipline.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education.
For course advice contact the College of Education, Health and Human Development:
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800
Phone+64 3 369 3333