My main research interest is in the properties of nanometre scale particles (called 'atomic clusters') and in developing ways of building nano-electronic devices from these clusters. My group are currently working on cluster-based devices with applications ranging from chemical sensors to magnetic field sensors to transistors. We also have a unique apparatus for studying unusual atomic arrangements within these particles, including 5-fold symmetric structures forbidden in ordinary crystals.
- Bian G., Wang X., Kowalczyk PJ., Maerkl T., Brown SA. and Chiang TC. (2017) Survey of electronic structure of Bi and Sb thin films by first-principles calculations and photoemission measurements. Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpcs.2017.07.027.
- Bose SK., Mallinson JB., Gazoni RM. and Brown SA. (2017) Stable Self-Assembled Atomic-Switch Networks for Neuromorphic Applications. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TED.2017.2766063.
- Houben K., Couet S., Trekels M., Menéndez E., Peissker T., Seo JW., Hu MY., Zhao JY., Alp EE. and Roelants S. (2017) Lattice dynamics in Sn nanoislands and cluster-assembled films. Physical Review B 95(15) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.95.155413.
- Maerkl T., Kowalczyk PJ., Le Ster M., Mahajan IV., Pirie H., Ahmed Z., Bian G., Wang X., Chiang T-C. and Brown SA. (2017) Engineering multiple topological phases in nanoscale Van der Waals heterostructures: Realisation of $\alpha$-antimonene. 2D Materials http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/2053-1583/aa8d8e.
- Minnai C., Bellacicca A., Brown SA. and Milani P. (2017) Facile fabrication of complex networks of memristive devices.. Scientific Reports 7(1): 7955. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-08244-y.