My main research interest is in the properties of nanometre scale particles (called 'atomic clusters') and in developing ways of building nano-electronic devices from these clusters. My group are currently working on cluster-based devices with applications ranging from chemical sensors to magnetic field sensors to transistors. We also have a unique apparatus for studying unusual atomic arrangements within these particles, including 5-fold symmetric structures forbidden in ordinary crystals.
- Bian G., Wang X., Kowalczyk PJ., Maerkl T., Brown SA. and Chiang TC. (2017) Survey of electronic structure of Bi and Sb thin films by first-principles calculations and photoemission measurements. Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpcs.2017.07.027.
- Bose SK., Mallinson JB., Gazoni RA. and Brown SA. (2017) Stable Self-Assembled Atomic-Switch Networks for Neuromorphic Applications. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices 64(12): 5194-5201. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TED.2017.2766063.
- Fostner S., Nande A., Smith A., Martinez Gazoni R., Grigg J., Temst K., Van Bael MJ. and Brown SA. (2017) Percolating transport in superconducting nanoparticle films. Journal of Applied Physics 122(22) http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.5006694.
- Houben K., Couet S., Trekels M., Menéndez E., Peissker T., Seo JW., Hu MY., Zhao JY., Alp EE. and Roelants S. (2017) Lattice dynamics in Sn nanoislands and cluster-assembled films. Physical Review B 95(15) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.95.155413.
- Kowalczyk PJ., Mahapatra O., Le Ster M., Brown SA., Bian G., Wang X. and Chiang TC. (2017) Single atomic layer allotrope of bismuth with rectangular symmetry. Physical Review B 96(20) http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.96.205434.