Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests include mainly, but not limited to, Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering and related problems (e.g. soil liquefaction and its remediation); constitutive modelling for geomaterials; development of advanced laboratory testing devices (triaxial tests with static local deformation and dynamic measurements; torsional shear tests from very small to large strain levels); geo-hazard reconnaissance and mitigation (e.g. 2015 Gorkha Nepal Earthquake; sinkholes in Pokhara Valley, Nepal); beneficial reuse/recycling of waste materials for sustainable geo-constructions; ground improvement techniques for granular soils.
- Chiaro G., Alexander G., Brabhaharan P., Massey C., Koseki J., Yamada S. and Aoyagi Y. (2017) RECONNISSANCE REPORT ON GEOTECHNICAL AND GEOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF THE 14-16 APRIL 2016 KUMAMOTO EARTHQUAKES, JAPAN. Bulletin of the New Zealand National Society for Earthquake Engineering 50(3): 29.
- Chiaro G., De Silva LIN. and Koseki J. (2017) Modeling the effects of static shear on the undrained cyclic torsional simple shear behavior of liquefiable sand. Geotechnical Engineering Journal of the SEAGS & AGSSEA 48(4): 8.
- Cubrinovski M., Bray JD., De La Torre C., Olsen MJ., Bradley BA., Chiaro G., Stocks E. and Wotherspoon L. (2017) Liquefaction effects and associated damages observed at the Wellington centreport from the 2016 Kaikoura earthquake. Bulletin of the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering 50(2): 152-173.
- Liu W., Chen Q., Chiaro G. and Jiang H. (2017) Effect of a cement-lignin agent on the shear behavior of Shanghai dredged marine soils. Marine Georesources and Geotechnology 35(1): 17-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1064119X.2015.1024903.
- KIYOTA T., IKEDA T., GODA K., POKHREL RM., CHIARO G. and KATAGIRI T. (2016) SURVEY REPORT ON ROAD DAMAGE CAUSED BY THE 2015 GORKHA EARTHQUAKE, NEPAL. Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. A1 (Structural Engineering & Earthquake Engineering (SE/EE)) 72(4): 934-939. http://dx.doi.org/10.2208/jscejseee.72.I_934.