Qualifications & Memberships
Professor Gillon is currently the Co-Director of the Better Start National Science Challenge ($34M) E Tipu E Rea, A 10 year programme of research focused on ensuring all young children have a successful start to life. Prof Gillon’s area of research focuses on understanding the relationship between spoken and written language development and, in particular, the importance of children’s phonological awareness to reading and spelling development. Active research projects include: The effectiveness of phonological awareness interventions in facilitating early literacy success in children who enter school with known challenges for reading and spelling. Engaging parents, family and community in children’s early oral language and literacy development, Facilitating literacy success in children with speech and language impairment; Understanding international speech language therapy practices in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Interdisciplinary practices across health and education to support children’s learning, Teachers’ professional development in children’s oral language and early literacy development, Oral Language Assessment measures (Systematic Analysis of Language Transcripts) Phonological Awareness on-line assessments in English, Te Reo Maori and Samoan.
- Brown MI., Gillon GT. and Westerveld MF. (2017) Early storybook reading with babies and young children: Parents’ opinions and home reading practices. Australian Journal of Early Childhood 42(2): 69-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.23965/AJEC.42.2.09.
- Gillon G., Hyter Y., Dreux F., Ferman S., Hus Y., Petinou K., Segal O., Tumanova T., Vogindroukas I. and Westby C. (2017) International survey of SLP practices in working with children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Folia phoniatrica in press
- McNeill BC., Wolter J. and Gillon GT. (2017) A comparison of the metalinguistic performance and spelling development of children with inconsistent speech sound disorder and their age-matched and reading-matched peers.. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology
- Wilson L., McNeill B. and Gillon GT. (2017) Inter-professional education of prospective speech–language therapists and primary school teachers through shared professional practice placements. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders 52(4): 426-439. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1460-6984.12281.
- Gillon GT. and Macfarlane AH. (2016) A Culturally Responsive Framework for Enhancing Phonological Awareness Development in Children with Speech-Language Impairment. Paper submitted
Professor Gail Gillon has operational responsibility for the College of Education, Health & Human Development.
Phonological Awareness Resources
Professor Gillon's Phonological Awareness Resources are available online.