The CFA Challenge
The Chartered Finance Analyst (CFA) Institute Research Challenge brings together the best finance students in an inter-university business competition. In the challenge, teams assume the role of research analysts and apply their investment analysis and advisory skills to an investment management case.
About the Challenge
Students with a strong background in Economic, Finance and Accounting are welcome to apply to represent UC at the CFAI Research Challenge.
In the competition, student teams compete to present the best company analysis, research report, and presentation for an opportunity to vie for the regional and global titles. It’s a great CV builder and a chance to interact with the industry’s top firms.
|June to mid-July||Recruitment and interviews|
|Mid- to late July||Team selection|
|Late July||Kick off conference call|
|Mid- to late August||Conference call with the target company's representative|
|Mid-September||Target company annual results and webcast|
|Late September||Deadline for report submission|
|Early to mid-October||Final presentations in Auckland|
How to apply
Submit a one page resumé and a cover letter to the Challenge Coordinator, email: firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 July 2018.
Ideally, you should:
- have a strong background in finance and/or accounting and/or economics;
- possess strong analysis and good communication skills;
- be team oriented, well-motivated, and hard-working;
- be available for 10–15 hours per week to work on the assigned task either independently or with a team member;
- be able to attend the two conference calls on campus and weekly group meetings with the Challenge Coordinator or your industry mentor or team members;
- be able to travel to Auckland for the final presentations to be held in early to mid-October.
UC team results
The UC team has performed well ever since this challenge was first organised in New Zealand in 2008. UC ranked 1st place in 2008 and 2009 (second in the Asia-Pacific competition), 2nd place in 2010, 2013 and 2015, and 3rd place in 2012 and 2016. The rankings were not announced in 2014 but a judge provided an informal feedback that UC had the best report.
Where are former team members working?
- New Zealand: PWC, KPMG, Murray & Co, BNZ, Christchurch City Council
- Australia: Bain & Company, Rothschild and Co
- USA: Farmers Insurance, Federal Home Loan Bank of Dallas
- Germany: Ebner Stolz
Where did team members study after graduating from UC?
- UK: University of Edinburgh, London School of Economics
- USA: University of Washington, Case Western Reserve University
What do former team members say about the challenge?
Jake Wilsea-Smith, Analyst at Rothschild and Co, Sydney (2013 team)
I actually managed to get a role as a Graduate Analyst in Deloitte Corporate Finance (Wellington) starting next year! I mentioned my experience from the CFA Research challenge and I think they were impressed by it, so thank you again for having me on the team
Beini Guo, Analyst at Murray & Co, Christchurch (2015 team)
Overall it has given the whole team valuable skills and experience. I have been offered a graduate analyst position in the investment team at Murray & Co. At my interview, the employer was really interested in our final report and asked me to email it to them. The challenge helps give you confidence in making your own investing decisions and not need to rely solely on analysts’ recommendations.
Dominic O'Connor, Associate Consultant at Bain & Company, Sydney (2016 team)
It was a fantastic competition in preparing me for my summer of work at UBS [as an analyst] in their investment banking team.
Nancy Dong, Analyst at Murray & Co, Christchurch (2016 team)
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be a part of the CFA Challenge this year - it was a truly great experience.
Are you interested in joining the UC CFA team?
Contact the Challenge Coordinator to find out more about this year's challenge