Qualifications & Memberships
Bronwyn researches citizenship and sustainability, with a particular focus on children & youth in a rapidly changing physical and socio-economic environment.Head of Department of Political Science and International Relations and director of the Sustainable Citizenship and Civic Imagination: Hei Puāwaitanga research group http://www.arts.canterbury.ac.nz/political/scci.shtml at UC, Bronwyn is a co-researcher at the University of Oslo on the Voices of the Future project and a co-investigator with the Centre for Understanding Sustainable prosperity, at the University of Surrey, UK. She is also Senior Visiting Fellow: Centre for Environmental Strategy (University of Surrey) and was visiting fellow: Tyndall Centre for climate change research 2008-2010.Bronwyn was lead author for two UN Environment Programme reports on 18-35 year olds' attitudes to lifestyles and sustainability (UK/NZ). Her latest book is Children, Citizenship and Environment (2012) London, Routledge. She is a member of the International Social Sciences Council steering committee for Transformation, and chair of NZPSA All Universities Working party on Civics, Citizenship and Political Literacy http://www.nzpsa.com/civics-citizenship-and-political-literacyBronwyn has worked for children's TV, served as a ministerial appointee to NZ Broadcasting Standards Authority, and is a trustee of SPARK Foundation.Bronwyn was inaugural co-winner of UC Arts Conscience & Critic of Society Research Award 2014
- Hayward B. (2012) Children, citizenship and environment: Nurturing a democratic imagination in a changing world. 1-190. http://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9780203106839.
- Hayward B. (2012) Children, Citizenship and Environment: Nurturing a Democratic Imagination in a Changing World. London: Earthscan/Routledge. 208pp. http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781849714372/.
- Hayward B., Collins R. and Nissen S. (2016) Children and Environment. In Demeritt D; Castree N; Richardson D (Ed.), The International Encyclopaedia of Geography: forthcoming. London: Wiley.
- Hayward B. and Cretney R. (2015) Governing Through Disaster. In Hayward J (Ed.), New Zealand Government and Politics (6th ed.): 403-415. Melbourne: Oxford University Press.
- Hayward B. (2014) Re-imagining and Rebuilding Local Democracy. In Bennett B; Dann J; Johnson E; Reynolds R (Ed.), Once in a Lifetime: City-building after Disaster in Christchurch: 179-185. Christchurch: Freerange Press Christchurch.