Qualifications & Memberships
Research interest is applied stream ecology with emphasis on the impacts of human land-use activities (e.g. mining, urbanisation, agriculture, forestry and hydro-electric power development) and forest fragmentation. Specific interests are: the effects of long-term land use activities on stream ecosystems, with particular emphasis on benthic diversity and impacts on regionally endemic species; predicting anthropogenic impacts on river continuums; the application of stream ecology in biomonitoring and the development of State of the Environment programs; taxonomy and ecology of aquatic invertebrates; stream restoration ecology; and environmental education.
- Pohe SR., Winterbourn MJ., Goldstien SJ. and Harding JS. (2018) Distribution, body size, genetic structure and conservation of Siphlaenigma janae (Insecta: Ephemeroptera). New Zealand Journal of Zoology 45(2): 154-170. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03014223.2017.1405823.
- Pohe SR., Winterbourn MJ., Goldstien SJ., Ball OJP. and Harding JS. (2018) Distribution, nymphal habitat, genetic structure and conservation of the New Zealand mayfly Isothraulus abditus (Insecta: Ephemeroptera) and a description of its subimago. New Zealand Journal of Zoology : 1-18. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03014223.2018.1464034.
- Bray J., Kilroy C., Gerbeaux P. and Harding JS. (2017) Ecological eustress? Nutrient supply, bloom stimulation and competition determine dominance of the diatom Didymosphenia geminata. Freshwater Biology 62: 1433-1442. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/fwb.12958.
- Bray J., O Brien J. and Harding JS. (2017) Production of phosphatase and extracellular stalks as adaptations to phosphorus limitation in Didymosphenia geminata (Bacillariophyceae). Hydrobiologia 784(1): 51-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10750-016-2851-2.
- Champeau O., Cavanagh JAE., Sheehan TJ., Tremblay LA. and Harding JS. (2017) Acute toxicity of arsenic to larvae of four New Zealand freshwater insect taxa. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 51(3): 443-454. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2016.1264430.