Qualifications & Memberships
Deirdre researches the physical, biological and human (built enviroment lifelines) processes and interactions in coastal environments. This includes temperate and tropical coastal and river-mouth science, engineering and management. Current projects include collaboration with research teams in Korea, New Zealand, Italy and the USA. Her research approach is fundamentally multi-disciplinary, and employs a range of techniques from field, to laboratory and numerical and theoretical modelling. Deirdre is passionate about the dissemination of coastal science through education and informed management, as well as to coastal community engagement. She is interested in supervising Masters and PhD projects that align closely with her coastal/ multi-hazard research interests, including on river mouths, high-energy coasts, mudflats, reef sediments, pocket beaches and urban multi-hazards such as flooding and earthquake effects.
- Byun D-S. and Hart DE. (2017) A robust interpolation procedure for producing tidal currentellipse inputs for regional and coastal ocean numerical models. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10236-017-1037-4.
- Dombroski K., Watkins AF., Fitt H., Frater J., Banwell K., Mackenzie K., Mutambo L., Hawke K., Persendt F. and Turković J. (2017) Journeying from “I” to “we”: assembling hybrid caring collectives of geography doctoral scholars. Journal of Geography in Higher Education : 1-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2017.1335295.
- Kain C., Wassmer P., Goff J., Chagué-Goff C., Gomez C., Hart D., Fierro D., Jacobsen G. and Zawadzki A. (2017) Determining flow patterns and emplacement dynamics from tsunami deposits with no visible sedimentary structure. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 42(5): 763-780. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/esp.4020.
- Byun DS. and Hart DE. (2015) Predicting Tidal Heights for New Locations Using 25h of in situ Sea Level Observations plus Reference Site Records: A Complete Tidal Species Modulation with Tidal Constant Corrections. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 32(2): 350-371. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JTECH-D-14-00030.1.
- Hughes MW., Quigley MC., Van Ballegooy S., Deam BL., Bradley BA., Hart DE. and Measures R. (2015) The sinking city: Earthquakes increase flood hazard in Christchurch, New Zealand. GSA Today 25(3): 4-10.