Research interests include marine intertidal and subtidal ecology and aquaculture.
- Hawes NA., Taylor DI. and Schiel DR. (2017) Transport of drifting fucoid algae: Nearshore transport and potential for long distance dispersal. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 490: 34-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2017.02.001.
- Hickford MJH., Stevens JCB. and Schiel DR. (2017) Nonselective use of vegetation for spawning by the diadromous fish Galaxias maculatus. Restoration Ecology http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/rec.12618.
- Schiel D., Lilley S. and South P. (2017) Ecological tipping points for an invasive kelp in rocky reef algal communities. Marine Ecology Progress Series
- Tait LW., Hawes I. and Schiel DR. (2017) Integration of chlorophyll a fluorescence and photorespirometry techniques to understand production dynamics in macroaglal communities. Journal of Phycology 53(3): 476-485. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jpy.12524.
- Battershill CN., Ross PR. and Schiel DR. (2016) The MV Rena shipwreck: time-critical scientific response and environmental legacies. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 50(1): 173-182. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2015.1134593.