Qualifications & Awards
I work at all levels in freshwater ecosystems, ranging from population and community ecology through to ecosystem and aquatic landscape ecology, including work on fish and invertebrates in streams, lakes and wetlands. I’ve been particularly interested in aquatic food webs, predator-prey interactions, the influences of flow-related habitat size and disturbance in rivers, exchanges between aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, and restoration and rehabilitation. This has included long-running studies in the upper Waimakariri River system in Canterbury, at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory in Colorado and in agricultural streams of the Canterbury Plains. Important aspects include investigations of:
- effects of non-native trout on galaxiid fishes,
- riverscape configuration influences on fish and other aquatic biodiversity,
- changes in river habitat size (e.g. through alteration in flows) on river food webs,
- habitat drying on pond communities,
- connections between aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems (cross-ecosystem influences)
-restoration of agricultural streams in the Canterbury Waterway Rehabilitation Experiment (CAREX).
See the FERG (Freshwater Ecology Research Group) pages for more details on this research and my EcologyLive website (see link under Resources above) for photographs, stories and information of interest to a wider audience.
- Collins KE., Febria CM., Warburton HJ., Devlin HS., Hogsden KL., Goeller BC., McIntosh AR. and Harding JS. (2018) Evaluating practical macrophyte control tools on small agricultural waterways in Canterbury, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research : 1-19. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00288330.2018.1487454.
- Datry T., Foulquier A., Corti R., von Schiller D., Tockner K., Mendoza-Lera C., Clément JC., Gessner MO., Moleón M. and Stubbington R. (2018) A global analysis of terrestrial plant litter dynamics in non-perennial waterways. Nature Geoscience : 1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41561-018-0134-4.
- Datry T., Foulquier A., Corti R., von Schiller D., Tockner K., Mendoza-Lera C., Clément JC., Gessner MO., Moleón M. and Stubbington R. (2018) Author Correction: A global analysis of terrestrial plant litter dynamics in non-perennial waterways. Nature Geoscience : 1. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41561-018-0172-y.
- McIntosh A., McHugh PA., Plank MJ., Jellyman PG., Warburton H. and Greig HS. (2018) Capacity to support predators scales with habitat size. Science Advances 4 eaap7523 http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aap7523.
- Boddy NC. and McIntosh AR. (2017) Temperature, invaders and patchy habitat interact to limit the distribution of a vulnerable freshwater fish. Austral Ecology 42(4): 456-467. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/aec.12463.