Qualifications & Memberships
Atmospheric processes and phenomena of a range of spatial and temporal scales, particularly synoptic and sub-synoptic scale meteorology and climatology. A key research focus is investigation of the effects of the Earth’s surface on the atmosphere near the ground and applications to human activity.Specific recent topics include: wind and storm hazards (legal insurance work); the modelling and measurement of air pollution and dust dispersion; meteorological and climatological applications in agriculture, such as frost protection and the selection of sites for vineyard development; evaluating wind energy potential in regions of complex terrain and short term prediction of wind energy generation; and investigation of the processes controlling the thermal environment of coral reefs.
- Le Roux R., Katurji MM., Zawar-Reza P., de Resseguier L., Sturman AP., van Leeuwen C., Parker A., Trought M. and Quenol H. (2016) A fine scale approach to map bioclimatic indices using and comparing dynamical and geostatistical methods. Willamette Valley, OR, USA: 11th International Terroir Congress, 10-14 Jul 2016.
- Soltanzadeh I., Bonnardot V., Sturman A., Quénol H. and Zawar-Reza P. (2016) Assessment of the ARW-WRF model over complex terrain: the case of the Stellenbosch Wine of Origin district of South Africa. Theoretical and Applied Climatology : 1-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00704-016-1857-z.
- Alizadeh-Choobari O., Sturman A. and Zawar-Reza P. (2015) Global distribution of mineral dust and its impact on radiative fluxes as simulated by WRF-Chem. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 127(6): 635-648. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00703-015-0390-4.
- Katurji M., Noonan B., Zawar-Reza P., Schulmann T. and Sturman A. (2015) Characteristics of the springtime alpine valley atmospheric boundary layer using self-organizing maps. Journal of Applied Meteorology 54(10): 2077-2085. http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-14-0317.1.
- Mukherjee S., McMillan AMS., Sturman AP., Harvey MJ. and Laubach J. (2015) Footprint methods to separate N<inf>2</inf>O emission rates from adjacent paddock areas. International Journal of Biometeorology 59(3): 325-338. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00484-014-0844-2.